<snip>  t

As for washing the uniforms, the detergent is acceptable to the manufacturers but a tallow soap is not. This is why I sugested perhaps this might work as they tell me not to use it. I would have to take them to a laundromat, as I have a grey water system that waters my gardens. I do not want to eat whatever is in those uniforms!

that's strange, well may be not. I would bet dollars to donuts that the tallow soap is much less effective at removing the flame retardants. That is, if detergents don't remove the stuff you want out, the tallow soap with a lower emulsifying capacity, surely won't either. If in fact they say you can't use tallow soap, it is probably a blanket restriction to only using detergents rather than say dry cleaning.