From: Ken Provost <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] "End of Suburbia"
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:00:52 -0800

on 2/24/05 8:18 AM, R Del Bueno at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> There is a great film out now called "The End of Suburbia ..
> Oil depletion and the collapse of the American Dream"
>
> http://www.endofsuburbia.com/
>
> Matthew Simmons is featured in the film quite a bit.
> Everyone should see this film.

I ordered it from Post Carbon Institute and have been showing it
around for a couple weeks now. It's a bit timid, and it seems to
put a lot of emphasis on "new urbanism" as a comfortable alterna-
tive to the energy-intensive suburban model. Personally I favor
a more "rural lifeboat" approach. I wonder how our non-U.S. members
see this issue -- if you lived in the suburbs of a huge city, say,
20 km outside Paris or Berlin, gasoline was 10X today's price, and
the city was suffering from food shortages, infrastucture breakdown,
daily power outages, etc., would you try to:

a) move in closer,

b) stay where you are, or

c) get further out?

-K