Hi,

As I remember, one of the problems with sodium and other borohydrides is that boron is a relatively scarce element if considered for use on a global scale. The main deposits are found in Turkey, Chile and Southern California (owned in the major part by Rio Tinto, and 3 other smaller companies). It's currently mainly used for producing washing powder etc (e.g. Borax). There's a link to some recent production notes at http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/commodity/boron/120302.pdf .

A vehicle running on a borohydride fuel cell solution would have to have a separate tank for collecting the "spent" solution after the hydrogen has been extracted from the borohydride. The spent solution has to be recycled ("rehyrolised") after use, as it's a finite resource and you couldn't just dispose of it, without mentioning the pollution problems you would encounter if you tried to.

Carrying 20 gallons of spent borohydride solution around in a vehicle also presents different economics than letting plain water vapour out of the exhaust pipe.

I can envisage a situation where going to a filling station would result in your "spent borohydride solution" tank being emptied and your "charged solution" tank being refilled. The spent solution would then be quality-checked and rehydrolised, hopefully with the help of renewably-generated electricity, and put back into succeeding vehicles. This should result in a minimal borohydride distribution network - no tankers on the road like you have today. [On another note, I never understood why they didn't try and do this with lead-acid battery-powered electric vehicles, just suck out the spent electrolyte and replace it with charged electrolyte?]

Vehicles would also be equipped with photovoltaic charging systems (I guess using the new coating-based PV polymers which are coming on the market) which could "trickle-hydrolise" the spent solution in sunlight.

All in all, it represents an interesting possibility, especially if there's a great concern about the safety of using pure hydrogen. The major limiting factor is, I think, the availability of Boron. Turkey and Chile could become major countries on the geopolitical landscape if demand for Boron goes up!

Thanks,

Sam