From: Keith Addison
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 1/04/05 11:54
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Re: The Energy Crunch To Come

Henri Naths wrote:

>Hakan,
>I would like to give a humble option here,
>( Hakan wrote;...Criminal, established by the fact that we now know
>that Iraq were no WMD threat to US. )
>We took out Hitler for the same reason, Him and Suddam Hussein were
>weapons of mass destruction.
>H.

Judging from past posts, I think Hakan and many others here are a
little sceptical about claims that the US "took out" Hitler.

As for Saddam, as is very well known and widely established beyond
any possibility of doubt or controversy...

http://www.progressive.org/0901/anth0498.html
The Progressive magazine
April 1998 Issue

Anthrax for Export
U.S. companies sold Iraq the ingredients for a witch's brew

by William Blum

The United States almost went to war against Iraq in February because
of Saddam Hussein's weapons program. In his State of the Union
address, President Clinton castigated Hussein for "developing
nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver
them."

"You cannot defy the will of the world," the President proclaimed.
"You have used weapons of mass destruction before. We are determined
to deny you the capacity to use them again."

Most Americans listening to the President did not know that the
United States supplied Iraq with much of the raw material for
creating a chemical and biological warfare program. Nor did the media
report that U.S. companies sold Iraq more than $1 billion worth of
the components needed to build nuclear weapons and diverse types of
missiles, including the infamous Scud.

When Iraq engaged in chemical and biological warfare in the 1980s,
barely a peep of moral outrage could be heard from Washington, as it
kept supplying Saddam with the materials he needed to build weapons.

 From 1980 to 1988, Iraq and Iran waged a terrible war against each
other, a war that might not have begun if President Jimmy Carter had
not given the Iraqis a green light to attack Iran, in response to
repeated provocations. Throughout much of the war, the United States
provided military aid and intelligence information to both sides,
hoping that each would inflict severe damage on the other.

Noam Chomsky suggests that this strategy is a way for America to keep
control of its oil supply:

"It's been a leading, driving doctrine of U.S. foreign policy since
the 1940s that the vast and unparalleled energy resources of the Gulf
region will be effectively dominated by the United States and its
clients, and, crucially, that no independent indigenous force will be
permitted to have a substantial influence on the administration of
oil production and price."

During the Iran-Iraq war, Iraq received the lion's share of American
support because at the time Iran was regarded as the greater threat
to U.S. interests. According to a 1994 Senate report, private
American suppliers, licensed by the U.S. Department of Commerce,
exported a witch's brew of biological and chemical materials to Iraq
from 1985 through 1989. Among the biological materials, which often
produce slow, agonizing death, were:

* Bacillus Anthracis, cause of anthrax.

* Clostridium Botulinum, a source of botulinum toxin.

* Histoplasma Capsulatam, cause of a disease attacking lungs, brain,
spinal cord, and heart.

* Brucella Melitensis, a bacteria that can damage major organs.

* Clostridium Perfringens, a highly toxic bacteria causing systemic
illness.

* Clostridium tetani, a highly toxigenic substance.

Also on the list: Escherichia coli (E. coli), genetic materials,
human and bacterial DNA, and dozens of other pathogenic biological
agents. "These biological materials were not attenuated or weakened
and were capable of reproduction," the Senate report stated. "It was
later learned that these microorganisms exported by the United States
were identical to those the United Nations inspectors found and
removed from the Iraqi biological warfare program."

The report noted further that U.S. exports to Iraq included the
precursors to chemical-warfare agents, plans for chemical and
biological warfare production facilities, and chemical-warhead
filling equipment.

The exports continued to at least November 28, 1989, despite evidence
that Iraq was engaging in chemical and biological warfare against
Iranians and Kurds since as early as 1984.

The American company that provided the most biological materials to
Iraq in the 1980s was American Type Culture Collection of Maryland
and Virginia, which made seventy shipments of the anthrax-causing
germ and other pathogenic agents, according to a 1996 Newsday story.

Other American companies also provided Iraq with the chemical or
biological compounds, or the facilities and equipment used to create
the compounds for chemical and biological warfare. Among these
suppliers were the following:

* Alcolac International, a Baltimore chemical manufacturer already
linked to the illegal shipment of chemicals to Iran, shipped large
quantities of thiodiglycol (used to make mustard gas) as well as
other chemical and biological ingredients, according to a 1989 story
in The New York Times.

* Nu Kraft Mercantile Corp. of Brooklyn (affiliated with the United
Steel and Strip Corporation) also supplied Iraq with huge amounts of
thiodiglycol, the Times reported.

* Celery Corp., Charlotte, NC

* Matrix-Churchill Corp., Cleveland, OH (regarded as a front for the
Iraqi government, according to Representative Henry Gonzalez,
Democrat of Texas, who quoted U.S. intelligence documents to this
effect in a 1992 speech on the House floor).

The following companies were also named as chemical and biological
materials suppliers in the 1992 Senate hearings on "United States
export policy toward Iraq prior to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait":

* Mouse Master, Lilburn, GA

* Sullaire Corp., Charlotte, NC

* Pure Aire, Charlotte, NC

* Posi Seal, Inc., N. Stonington, CT

* Union Carbide, Danbury, CT

* Evapco, Taneytown, MD

* Gorman-Rupp, Mansfield, OH

Additionally, several other companies were sued in connection with
their activities providing Iraq with chemical or biological supplies:
subsidiaries or branches of Fisher Controls International, Inc., St.
Louis; Rhone-Poulenc, Inc., Princeton, NJ; Bechtel Group, Inc., San
Francisco; and Lummus Crest, Inc., Bloomfield, NJ, which built one
chemical plant in Iraq and, before the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait in
August 1990, was building an ethylene facility. Ethylene is a
necessary ingredient for thiodiglycol.

In 1994, a group of twenty-six veterans, suffering from what has come
to be known as Gulf War Syndrome, filed a billion-dollar lawsuit in
Houston against Fisher, Rhone-Poulenc, Bechtel Group, and Lummus
Crest, as well as American Type Culture Collection (ATCC) and six
other firms, for helping Iraq to obtain or produce the compounds
which the veterans blamed for their illnesses. By 1998, the number of
plaintiffs has risen to more than 4,000 and the suit is still pending
in Texas.

A Pentagon study in 1994 dismissed links between chemical and
biological weapons and Gulf War Syndrome. Newsday later disclosed,
however, that the man who headed the study, Nobel laureate Joshua
Lederberg, was a director of ATCC. Moreover, at the time of ATCC's
shipments to Iraq, which the Commerce Department approved, the firm's
CEO was a member of the Commerce Department's Technical Advisory
Committee, the paper found.

A larger number of American firms supplied Iraq with the specialized
computers, lasers, testing and analyzing equipment, and other
instruments and hardware vital to the manufacture of nuclear weapons,
missiles, and delivery systems. Computers, in particular, play a key
role in nuclear weapons development. Advanced computers make it
feasible to avoid carrying out nuclear test explosions, thus
preserving the program's secrecy. The 1992 Senate hearings implicated
the following firms:

* Kennametal, Latrobe, PA

* Hewlett Packard, Palo Alto, CA

* International Computer Systems, CA, SC, and TX

* Perkins-Elmer, Norwalk, CT

* BDM Corp., McLean, VA

* Leybold Vacuum Systems, Export, PA

* Spectra Physics, Mountain View, CA

* Unisys Corp., Blue Bell, PA

* Finnigan MAT, San Jose, CA

* Scientific Atlanta, Atlanta, GA

* Spectral Data Corp., Champaign, IL

* Tektronix, Wilsonville, OR

* Veeco Instruments, Inc., Plainview, NY

* Wiltron Company, Morgan Hill, CA

The House report also singled out: TI Coating, Inc., Axel
Electronics, Data General Corp., Gerber Systems, Honeywell, Inc.,
Digital Equipment Corp., Sackman Associates, Rockwell Collins
International, Wild Magnavox Satellite Survey, Zeta Laboratories,
Carl Schenck, EZ Logic Data, International Imaging Systems, Semetex
Corp., and Thermo Jarrell Ash Corporation.

Some of the companies said later that they had no idea Iraq might
ever put their products to military use. A spokesperson for Hewlett
Packard said the company believed that the Iraqi recipient of its
shipments, Saad 16, was an institution of higher learning. In fact,
in 1990 The Wall Street Journal described Saad 16 as "a heavily
fortified, state-of-the-art complex for aircraft construction,
missile design, and, almost certainly, nuclear-weapons research."

Other corporations recognized the military potential of their goods
but considered it the government's job to worry about it. "Every once
in a while you kind of wonder when you sell something to a certain
country," said Robert Finney, president of Electronic Associates,
Inc., which supplied Saad 16 with a powerful computer that could be
used for missile testing and development. "But it's not up to us to
make foreign policy," Finney told The Wall Street Journal.

In 1982, the Reagan Administration took Iraq off its list of
countries alleged to sponsor terrorism, making it eligible to receive
high-tech items generally denied to those on the list. Conventional
military sales began in December of that year. Representative Samuel
Gejdenson, Democrat of Connecticut, chairman of a House subcommittee
investigating "United States Exports of Sensitive Technology to
Iraq," stated in 1991:

"From 1985 to 1990, the United States Government approved 771
licenses for the export to Iraq of $1.5 billion worth of biological
agents and high-tech equipment with military application. [Only
thirty-nine applications were rejected.] The United States spent
virtually an entire decade making sure that Saddam Hussein had almost
whatever he wanted. . . . The Administration has never acknowledged
that it took this course of action, nor has it explained why it did
so. In reviewing documents and press accounts, and interviewing
knowledgeable sources, it becomes clear that United States
export-control policy was directed by U.S. foreign policy as
formulated by the State Department, and it was U.S. foreign policy to
assist the regime of Saddam Hussein."

Subsequently, Representative John Dingell, Democrat of Michigan,
investigated the Department of Energy concerning an unheeded 1989
warning about Iraq's nuclear weapons program. In 1992, he accused the
DOE of punishing employees who raised the alarm and rewarding those
who didn't take it seriously. One DOE scientist, interviewed by
Dingell's Energy and Commerce Committee, was especially conscientious
about the mission of the nuclear non-proliferation program. For his
efforts, he received very little cooperation, inadequate staff, and
was finally forced to quit in frustration. "It was impossible to do a
good job," said William Emel. His immediate manager, who tried to get
the proliferation program fully staffed, was chastened by management
and removed from his position. Emel was hounded by the DOE at his new
job as well.

Another Senate committee, investigating "United States export policy
toward Iraq prior to Iraq's invasion of Kuwait," heard testimony in
1992 that Commerce Department personnel "changed information on
sixty-eight licenses; that references to military end uses were
deleted and the designation 'military truck' was changed. This was
done on licenses having a total value of over $1 billion." Testimony
made clear that the White House was "involved" in "a deliberate
effort . . . to alter these documents and mislead the Congress."

American foreign-policy makers maintained a cooperative relationship
with U.S. corporate interests in the region. In 1985, Marshall Wiley,
former U.S. ambassador to Oman, set up the Washington-based U.S.-Iraq
Business Forum, which lobbied in Washington on behalf of Iraq to
promote U.S. trade with that country. Speaking of the Forum's
creation, Wiley later explained, "I went to the State Department and
told them what I was planning to do, and they said, 'Fine. It sounds
like a good idea.' It was our policy to increase exports to Iraq."

Though the government readily approved most sales to Iraq, officials
at Defense and Commerce clashed over some of them (with the State
Department and the White House backing Commerce).

"If an item was in dispute, my attitude was if they were readily
available from other markets, I didn't see why we should deprive
American markets," explained Richard Murphy in 1990. Murphy was
Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern and South Asian Affairs
from 1983 to 1989.

As it turned out, Iraq did not use any chemical or biological weapons
against U.S. forces in the Gulf War. But American planes bombed
chemical and biological weapons storage facilities with abandon,
potentially dooming tens of thousands of American soldiers to lives
of prolonged and permanent agony, and an unknown number of Iraqis to
a similar fate. Among the symptoms reported by the affected soldiers
are memory loss, scarred lungs, chronic fatigue, severe headache,
raspy voice, and passing out. The Pentagon estimates that nearly
100,000 American soldiers were exposed to sarin gas alone.

After the war, White House and Defense Department officials tried
their best to deny that Gulf War Syndrome had anything to do with the
bombings. The suffering of soldiers was not their overriding concern.
The top concerns of the Bush and Clinton Administrations were to
protect perceived U.S. interests in the Middle East, and to ensure
that American corporations still had healthy balance sheets.

William Blum is the author of "Killing Hope: U.S. Military and CIA
Interventions Since World War II" (Common Courage Press, 1995).