From: Rick Littrell
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 4/5/05 5:05 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Iraq Invasion - Age of Oil Scarcity

Dear Scott,

I think the thesis here is a bit of a reach. At the time of the invasion the dollar was not in the shape it is now. In fact one reason for the decline is the cost of the war. I still lean to the theory that Sadam was seen as a threat to the region and eventually would threaten US access to cheep oil by occupying his neighbors. The Bush administration calculated that it would be cheaper to attack him rather than contain him. It is a sobering thought that one of the geniuses that believed this is now head of the world bank. As far as the Euro vs the dollar, The big energy companies don't care what they get paid in or by who. At one point one of the companies that wants to drill in the Arctic admitted they'd probably sell the oil to Japan Rather than try to pipe it to the lower 48.

Rick

Scott wrote:

How many of us had an "AHA moment" when reading this article?

We now see the real reason for this illegal war [or at least one of the
reasons].

Saddam Hussein was about to be given a clean bill of health by the UN
inspection team beacuse he obviously didn't have WMD's.  He was then
going
to open the spigots and start selling oil.  Not only was he going to
sell
oil for Euros exacerbating the decline of the dollar, but that would
also
have driven the global price of oil down.

Clearly, EXXON/Mobile, Chevron/Texaco, BP/Amoco et. al.  did not want
the
price of oil to go down.

"ExxonMobil Corporation reported the fourth quarter of 2004 as its
highest
quarter ever..."
http://www.npnweb.com/uploads/featurearticles/2005/MarketingStrategies/
0503ms.asp