Hello Keith, I'm glad I piped up there, one health scare in a month is
enough for anybody eh? :-)

I think there isn't really a sound plan here unless you intend to cut it
under water, scuba gear & all.

My acetylene bottle is 140cm tall x 24cm diam = 64l in volume (approx)

Say 2/3 of the bottle is wadding & the rest acetone - that gives around 21l
of acetone. But not just acetone. It may seem empty but it will still have
some acetylene in solution.

Yep you could drill it carefully & safely but you want an open ended tube
out of it, that means cutting it with an angle grinder.......lots of hot
sparks!!

Acetone has a flash point (closed cup) of -18 deg C / 0 deg F (According to
Merck Index)

My advice would be take it back to your engineer friend & see if he has an
empty Argoshield bottle (for mig welding) this would have no wadding inside
& the gas inside is a pretty inert mix of Argon, Co2 & a touch of O2.

Failing that & I know you are in a remote location, but you could splash out
on some steel tube from a steel stockholder, after all the East is where
it's all made these days & it should be cheap.

Sorry to put a dampener on the weekend project Keith - but I would really
advise against chopping up that acetylene bottle.

Best regards

Malcolm