i would love to answer your great posting at length, keith, but am a bit short of time right now. i'm sure the list will understand.

but i did want to say how much i admire your use of adjectives.  if i could build my plants as well as you craft your postings, i would surely be nominated to the engineering hall of fame, what ?

all the best. cheers, dick.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 12:23 AM
Subject: Re: [biofuels-biz] the empire's gone....

Dick Carlstein wrote:

Well, the first thing he wrote is the extraordinary subject-line. I
wonder if you'd care to explain it, Dick? What is its relevance to
the discussion please?

Are you claiming that there's a market in most parts of the world for
WVO such as that (a) accounts for such a high percentage of the WVO
produced that the rest is insignificant, whatever that might mean or
not mean, and (b) this market is stable and no significant (?)
changes are foreseeable? If so, please see my other message of today,
"Re: [biofuels-biz] wvo".

I haven't previously found much credibility in your claims to speak
for the rest of the world, I should add.

Are you also claiming that 50 million people don't count?

>my plant is not capable of transesterifying wvo, unless it's treated
>previously, and cannot do the acid/base reaction
>the plant was really designed to do the base reaction, very reliably
>(temp and pressure).
> >Is this because it's not made of stainless steel components?
>
>no, it is so because it was designed this way. we are niche market
>oriented. we made a couple with aisi 304 ss (previously known as
>18/8), but then realised it wasn't necessary at all. we use two
>component food grade epoxy, electrostatically deposited.

Come one Dick, you can't have it both ways - are you speaking for the
world at large or are you niche market oriented?

>palm and coco oils are presently selling for u$s 200 a ton, refined.
>and the world vvo glut continues, and is projected to remain so for
>at least five more years.
> >This is great if you live in Malaysia or can buy in 1000's of tonnes.
>
>any palm oil importer in the uk will be happy to sell you palm oil.
>you'll have to contact them first, they don't know you want some.

Why would he want to do that, when there's so much WVO, including
palm oil-based WVO, available there for the taking and he knows how
to process it?

<snip>

>using heavily used wvo, in my opinion, is one way NOT to make biodiesel.
> >This is because of the area you live/work in ...... not relevent
>to everybody on the list, particularly us in the UK.
>
>i did post '...in my opinion...'; you can't make everybody happy !!

Yes you did say "in my opinion", but you also said: "it lights the
room aok, but there are better bulbs available", and generally dubbed
people using it as (a) dumb and (b) blind. And you're still doing
that.

>i am a third world plant manufacturer, you know, where your colonies
>used to be, back in the times of the empire.

Now what is all this about, and why is it relevant? Britain colonised
the Argentine? When was that? How come I didn't hear about it? I
didn't think Britain colonised anywhere in South America other than
British Guiana, Spain did all the colonising there, and Portugal to a
lesser extent. Oh yes, and the Falklands, I forgot about the
Falklands. But maybe you didn't, eh?

>oil is plentiful in this third world of ours, so it would seem
>logical to me to make biodiesel from it, instead of selling it to
>the first world so that they can fry their chips in it.
>
>from your viewpoint i can understand that making biodiesel from mad
>cows, terminated foot and mouth diseased pigs,

Terminated foot and mouth diseased pigs? Really? Pigs? Are you sure?

>and fish and chips wvo, is possibly an enticing option. to us, poor
>vegetable oil glutted folks, it's not.

Yeah, just more sneering, very ugly. He wasn't being patronising, why
are you? Better to eat chips than to have them on your shoulder.

>there are precious few fish and chip shops in africa, you see.

Ah, I see, you're speaking again for the Third World at large, not
just your little corner of it. I don't think you ought to do that
Dick. You demonstrate a very Euro-centric view of Third World issues,
not at all those of the people you claim to represent. Not uncommon,
but extremely harmful when applied.

>nice format to your posting !! have some mead, the drink of the gods
>!!! cheers, dick.
>
>to <snip>, or not to <snip> should be no question. this is a public
>service message.

It's a public service abomination. Please desist.

Keith Addison

Small business owners...
Tell us what you think!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM