Martin, you should check the archives, there's a lot about this
subject here. Starting with this, from a small producer in the
Northeast USA, dated 9 Feb 2002:

"This week I have been shut down by the EPA because they say I may not use the
health effects data developed by the non-profit National Biodiesel Board,
which is used by every other commecial producer in the country, but must
develop my own. The EPA estimates that will cost me in excess of $1,000,000.
Needless to say, I cannot come up with that kind of money. The EPA stated
this week if they catch me making more of the fuel, the fine is up to $25,000
per day.  I choose not to join the National Biodiesel Board because of their
contract requirements which are unduly burdensome on a small operation like
mine. It is like other industries: get big or get out."

AFAIK that's still the situation. There may be ways through it, if so
nobody's found them yet. And there may be ways round it. But if you
want to sell biodiesel for on-road use, this is what you're facing.

Some of the list members know a great deal about this, I hope they'll
contribute.

Best wishes

Keith

Access your PC just like Web Mail