In a message dated 7/22/02 10:11:41 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Hello Tom

>I don't know much about the state laws or local bylaws, but here is the
>federal picture: The EPA requires registation of all fuel producers for
>non-standard fuels, that is including biodiesel. They also require testing of
>these fuels. They claim that even though federal funds were used to test the
>only sample that has been processed to date, they will not allow this public
>domain information to be used unless the user buys the rights from a company
>set up by Archer-Daniels-Midland Co. This company (the NBB) is supposed to be
>a non-profit, but they require usury fees for small producers, such that it
>will increase your costs by a dollar a gallon or so. The EPA says they will
>fine small producers up to $25,000 a day if they find your are putting
>biodiesel fuel into "commerce", meaning selling it or bartering it.

Bartering it? They actually specify that?

---Yeah, its the legal definition of "commerce"---

>The cost
>of testing a single sample is expected to be about $1,000,000, according to
>the EPA. The EPA says there are no further grants available for this testing
>costs. The EPA doen't care about issues like quality, ASTM testing, etc., but
>wants to see the receipt for the purchase of the rights to use the one
>sample. The NBB requires thoussands of dollars in fees per year, testing, and
>a signed committment to pay $100,000 within 30 days as a cash bond if you are
>late with your quarterly fees or are planning to get out of the business. The
>bond will be returned by the year 2015, without interest, if the NBB feels
>they have recovered sufficient return on their (grant sponsored) investment.
>Otherwise, they keep some or all of the bond. In other words,
>Archer-Daniels-Midland has this entire area sewed up and small producers
>should not apply. The EPA official says that I should never have started
>making biodiesel in the first place, and am subject to retroactive fines back
>to the day I first started paying the road tax.
>
>If you want to find out what to do about this, write back.

Well, why don't you tell us? I'm sure all US list members want to
know, and probably most others are very interested.

Best

Keith Addison

---OK. There are lots of ways around the good old government, perhaps your
readers can think of a few more. We could have a kind of contest, ways to
circumvent the government restrictions on making biodiesel.  First prize: 5
gallons of biodiesel, compliments of me.  You see, its not illegal to give
away biodiesel. You also can award it, send it out on a trial basis, lend it,
raffle it, rent it (?), whatever. I can't strain my brain on thinking of
other ways to get around the EPA.  But my way is working well. I no longer
make Yellow Brand PREMIUM Biodiesel, and I have shut down my filling station
in Ashfield, MA. Please don't call me asking me for biodiesel fuel, if I'm in
a bad mood I'll just say I don't sell that stuff and hang up.

However... Homestead Inc. is please to announce the immediate availability of
Yellow Biodiesel Degreaser. Now in handy recycled 5 gallon containers. MSDS
available on request. Yellow Biodiesel Degreaser is the best available
solution to use in mechanics parts washing machines. It is far less expensive
that the competition's fluid, it will last as long or longer too. Come see it
in action at L&L Automotive in Buckland, MA and other locations nearby.
Besides being the best available parts washing compound, Yellow Biodiesel
Degreaser is far cheaper to dispose of when fully used: rather than paying
for disposal services like the major brand requires, just add used Yellow
Biodiesel Degreaser to your waste oil burner system, and it will actually
clean up your emissions! ! !

Yellow Biodiesel Degreaser is available in UPS shippable 5 gallon recycled
containers. The cost is only $12.50 plus shipping. Call in advance. Limit one
package per customer per day. Read more about it at www.yellowbiodiesel.com

or, write Tom Leue at [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please call only after email intr
oductions.

>Tom Leue
>Homestead Inc.
>Yellow Biodiesel >>