Keely, well. That's where you go to get ripped off. Apart from that I
think some of your figures may be wrong re the proportions of the
mixes.

Re water in biodiesel, water emulsions, and ethanol-biodiesel blends,
ethanol-biodiesel-water blends, all much discussed here and at the
Biofuel list, I suggest an archives search. See this, for instance:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=835&list=BIOFUELS-BIZ

http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=835&list=BIOFUELS-BIZ

A lot of people have an instant overreaction when they hear stuff
like this - water in the fuel! AAARGHH! Free water in petro-diesel is
of course bad news; a fuel-water emulsion is a different matter, as
also with water-biodiesel blends. If it's dissolved in the fuel it
will harm nothing, and there seem to be big advantages.

>"Following is a list of studies that are being considered for
>inclusion in work being done by EPA to assess the effects of
>water-fuel emulsions on emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx),
>hydrocarbons (HC), and particulate matter (PM)."
>http://www.epa.gov/otaq/models/analysis/emulsion/emulbibl.pdf

See also the ACREVO study.

http://www.nf-2000.org/secure/Fair/F484.htm
Advanced Combustion Research for Energy from Vegetable Oils (ACREVO)

Best

Keith

>Hi,
>   I was only back for a few hours tonight but it was a very productive
>few hours. You see John Grill from the h2view list sent out some remarks
>on Biodiesel and it just so happens I had been fooling with the idea of
>producing a small scale biodiesel production unit a week ago. I went so
>far as to research it a bit and found that you can even produce your own
>vegetable oil with an oil press such as this one:
>http://www.oilpress.com/type55.htm
>   But that is beside the point. Anyway, Jerry Decker on Keelynet posted
>a piece on the gunnerman patent tonight. This involved mixing diesel
>with water and a surfactant to produce a fuel for diesel engines.
>   This combination of posts triggered my memory and I remembered that I
>was out to a refinery in Ohio last year where the company (Lubrizol) was
>manufacturing a product called PuriNOx, a mixture of diesel, water and a
>surfactant. They were running the resulting fuel/mixture as a fuel in
>busses in Cleveland with good results. A production technician that I
>talked to told me that the mix was 30% diesel, 70% water and the
>surfactant.
>http://www.lubrizol.com/PuriNOx/fueltechnology.htm
>   DING! There went the idea. Why not learn this technology and apply it
>to BIODIESEL?!?! One gallon of biodiesel would become 3 gallons when
>mixed with water by this process and this modification should
>dramatically cut the per gallon cost to consumers and/or be quite
>valuable to those who wish to produce  biodiesel for their own use and
>it would also then become considerably more environmentally friendly
>than it already is in the process.
>General biodiesel info:
>http://www.afdc.nrel.gov/altfuel/bio_general.html#how
>Home Brew Biodiesel Genset:
>http://www.eline2000.com/eline/articles/biogen/biogenset.htm
>Small Scale Biodiesel Production:
>http://www.eline2000.com/eline/articles/biodiesel/biodiesel.htm
>Making bar soap from glycerin (by-product of biodiesel production):
>http://www.eline2000.com/eline/articles/barsoap/barsoap.htm
>Regards,
>MJ

Biofuels at Journey to Forever