Hello Glenn

I much welcome this discussion here. The context of biofuels
promotion and production is most important. If it's just to be a
replacement of fossil fuels, business otherwise as usual, we'll gain
little, and maybe lose a lot. It should be part of a strategy which
avoids or counter-acts the negative impacts of energy use up to now -
and thus of business-as-usual practices, as well as the concepts of
"development".

Ten years ago I produced a book for Zed Books called "Beyond the
Impasse: Development Theory in the 1990s", on Third World
development, which took account of these issues. The industrialized
countries seem to think they're immune, but they're not, far from it
- more like the opposite: they could well be the disease itself.

Somebody said: "Small-scale capitalism works out fine, but as scale
increases the departure from real capitalism becomes more pronounced
- profits are privatized, but costs are socialized. The attendant
repair and maintenance are left to succeeding generations if
possible, if not, to present low and middle income taxpayers."

Centralization (top-down) seems to be a large part of the problem.
Localization, community self-reliance, bioregionalism are, I'm sure,
the way forward, for development, and for energy.

That's already happening, and seems to have been happening for some
time. This is interesting:

http://www.tnews.com/text/mccloskey2.html
Ecology and Community: The Bioregional Vision

As is this:
http://www.ilsr.org/
Institute for Local Self-Reliance

There's a lot going on.

>Todd,
>
>Thank you for your response.   In the main, I agree with you.  Perhaps what
>history is teaching us is that our ideas of capitalism need to be modified,
>less toward a national, and more toward a regional  approach.   That would
>indeed be revolutionary, and perhaps require a revolution, since most of the
>political and economic activities to date appear to have pushed us in the
>nationalistic direction, and our culture has become highly nationalistic.
>You and others appear to be advocating a change of thinking.   If so, I
>agree.
>
>But first, to say the least,  we need a philosophy as the basis to reverse
>the nationalism trend and redirect it toward regionalism,.   The
>Jewdaic-Christian heritage is generally credited with having been the basis
>for  the present  high standard of living.

Not the only one, and there have been other societies in the past
with a high-standard of living, and even a very equitable system. I
think you could find the principles you're looking for in any of the
great religions, not just the Judaism, Christianity and Islam, the
three monotheistic religions. It's a goodly part of the "perennial
philosophy" that all cultures seem to share, in large measure. These
principles will make sense to anyone outside a national legislature
or a corporate boardroom. For instance:
http://www.schumachersociety.org/lec-zaj.html
Buddhist Technology: Bringing a New Consciousness to Our Technological Future

>I suggest go to that for the
>development of such a philosophy.   You ennunciated one principle of this
>philosophy, "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."  Some other
>elements from this same heritage,  not much a part of the capitalistic
>approach and our culture these days, are:  "A man's life consists not in the
>abundance of things which he possesses."  And  "love they neighbor as
>thyself."   On this all the commandments are based, "Love the Lord God with
>all thy heart, and love they neighbor as thyself."  Nor are most of these
>principles altogetgher unique to the Jewdaic-Christian heritage.  Others have
>advocated and practiced  these principles outside of our culture.   And, can
>the capitalistic system survive much longer without incorporating these
>principles?

Is it in fact still a capitalist system at all? It's a corporate
system. There's always been a contradiction between capitalism and
democracy - a company is not democratic, it's anti-democratic,
completely autocratic. The contradiction tends to fall away on a
local scale - after all, your customers' children go to school with
your children, you go to the same church as your employees, edtc etc.
The local level humanizes these relationships and makes exploitation
much less probable. Where it does happen, there's a high social cost
to pay, usually not worth it.

The less local things are, the less this is so; at the remove of the
boardroom of the global corporation there is no trace of it, as
recent (and current, and future) events in Wall Street most amply
demonstrate. There the bottom line is all. That will not do, it does
not work.

At the boardroom level, it's feasible and practical to add millions
of pounds of toxic industrial wastes to fertilizer bags to be used
for growing food - could that happen at the local level?

It's possible for Gerber to overturn laws in a Latin American country
with threats of costly WTO action so they can go on advertising
infant formula in a manner demonstrated to kill babies - could that
happen at the local level?

The sky is broken; with profligate energy over-use and the active
suppression of alternatives the climate is turning into a monster
such as none of us has dreamt of. It couldn't have happened at a
local level of doing business.

I do believe that every local community, in its daily doings, in the
ordinary relations between ordinary people of goodwill trying to go
about their daily business, knows very well how to handle all this,
and always has known it. Maybe we don't need new principles so much
as the re-establishment of very well-known old ones, which have been
purloined and distorted in the modern era.

>And, can not its failures and its weaknesses largely be
>attributed to not having  practiced such principles?

Yes, or abandoned them.

I think Fritz Schumacher addressed this very adequately in "Small is
Beautiful: Economics as if People Mattered". As with "Beyond the
Impasse", it's been relegated to the Third World, but it's at least
as applicable to the industrialized countries, more so even. Same
goes for Appropriate Technology, developed as an adjunct to
Schumacher's economics. There's been a lot of good work in both these
fields since then.

Finally, I think this below is relevant.

Best wishes

Keith

>Glenn Ellis

Prehistoric peoples could kill mammoths; how about corporations?
by Roberto Verzola

Most legal systems today recognize the registered business firm as a
distinct legal person, separate from its stockholders, board of
directors or employees. In fact, laws would often refer to "natural
or legal persons". It should therefore be safe to conclude that such
registered business firms or corporations are persons (ie,
organisms), but NOT "natural persons", and therefore not humans.

Other social institutions have been created by humans (State, Church,
etc.), but they have never quite reached the state of life and
reproductive capacity that corporations attained.

It would be very useful to analyze corporations *as if* they were a
different species, and then to extract ecological insights from the
analysis. (By corporations here, I am basically referring to
registered business firms, or for-profit corporations).

Corporations are born; they grow; they might also die. They can
reproduce and multiply, using different methods, both asexual and
sexual. We have bacteria within our bodies as if they were part of
us; corporations have humans within them. Their genetic programming -
profit maximization - is much simpler than human genetic programming,
humans being a bundle of mixed and often conflicting emotions and
motives. Corporations' computational capabilities for such
maximization easily exceed most natural persons' capabilities.
Therefore they easily survive better in the economic competition.

It is profit that keeps corporations alive. They are genetically
programmed to maximize the flow of profits into their gut. To extract
profit from their environment, corporations transform everything into
commodities and then make profits by selling them or renting them
out. Corporations can transform practically anything into a
commodity, including corporations and profits themselves.

Today, corporations are the dominant species on the planet. They have
taken over most social institutions and other niches that humans have
originally created for themselves. The physical reach of the biggest
corporations span the entire globe. The term "globalization" can
mean, without exaggeration, the global rule of corporations.

The non-stop transformation of the natural world - the ecological
base of human survival - into commodities for profit-making has, in
fact, become a threat to the survival not only of human beings but of
many other species.

In the same way that we learned to domesticate plants and animals,
corporations have learned to domesticate humans. Much of today's
educational process is a process of corporate domestication,
reinforced subsequently by corporate-controlled media. Corporations
have perfected the art of training humans, using carrot-and-stick
methods, to keep them tame and obedient.

Of course, some humans have remained wild and undomesticated. But
today, they are outside the mainstream.

Corporations have trained domesticated humans to immobilize, maim,
kill or otherwise "neutralize" those fellow-humans who have remained
feral and uncontrolled by corporations. But there's a growing body of
feral humans who are now trying to learn how to disable, maim or kill
corporations.

Prehistoric humans knew how to kill the largest beasts of their time;
modern humans have not yet learned how to kill corporations.
Individual humans have practically no hope of fighting off a
determined corporate attack. Most confrontations between corporations
and communities of humans end up in corporate victory, with humans
ending up dead, maimed or subdued and domesticated, their human will
broken.

On those occasions when humans manage a victory, it almost never
results in the death of the attacking corporation. When corporations
lose a battle with feral humans, they can simply withdraw for a
while, split into several persons, combine with another person,
change their persona, or adopt other survival tricks which they have
evolved over time. In fact, when entering new and presumably wild
territory, a corporation would often clone itself and send its clone
in. Even in the remote possibility that the clone dies from human
attacks, the mother firm stays unharmed and as powerful as ever.

In prehistoric ages, our ancestors learned how to repel, disable or
kill an attacking mammoth; the challenge of our age is learning how
to do the same with corporations.

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now
http://us.click.yahoo.com/pt6YBB/NXiEAA/RN.GAA/9bTolB/TM