Kavitha,

At the risk of sounding rude, at least in some respects it is
your professor who is in greater need of help than you relative
to accurate understanding of biodiesel.

Biodiesel is not a fatty acid. It is an alkyl ester - an
oxygenated fuel of considerably different combustion and physical
properties than a fatty acid.

And while bio-diesel (alkyl esters) is comprised of longer chains
than D-1 and D-2, it is the very fact that they are oxygenated
that gives biodiesel many of its cleaner burning properties. Most
of the other beneficial emissions properties are derived from the
fact that it is not fossil fuel derived and therefore the only
PAHs in the emissions are from crankcase oil blow by, not the
fuel itself.

There is a universe of difference between bio-diesel  and
petro-diesel emissions.

Unfortunately, his disbelief in relation to emissions reductions
is not in line with over a decade of emissions tests (EU and US)
and the more recent tier Health Effects Studies conducted on
soybean methyl esters.

I would hazard to both guess and wager that his "disbelief" is
somehow centrally connected to India's present policies outlawing
diesel transportation due to the heavy concentration of emissions
in urban areas.

Sadly, India is taking a path of demonizing diesels rather than
implementing the use of an enormously clean fuel such as
biodiesel, which would give both instant relief from the vast
majority of emissions (erego immediate improvements in urban
health) and also permit the progressive elimination of the point
sources of the heaviest emissions, such as 2 stroke diesel
engines which scavenge oil vapors and release the combusted by
products as PAH rich emissions.

Hopefully his disbelief is short lived and it doesn't prove to be
detrimental to your work or your review, as this is one
technology and fuel source that could enormously benefit India's
population centers, not to mention the entire country.

Todd Swearingen