Hi Motie

If you're saying that it would have been better not to grow the stuff
in the first place, but since it's there you might as well burn it,
I'd much agree with you. Burn it direct, or as fuel ethanol (plus
DDG) or as oil for biod or SVO (plus seedcake).

Seems to be a lot of confusion that it's organically grown corn,
however - if it were, then it's a premium product, not a waste
by-product from livestock feed production. Tidwell seems to believe
it's organically grown, and that that somehow makes it even better to
burn it. I can't get my head round his thinking, if that's the right
word. The Washington Post says it's "organically fertilized,
no-tilled corn", which Tidwell probably told them. But the Baltimore
Sun refers to "environmentally friendly growing techniques, such as
no-till farming, which lessens soil erosion", and says about 80
percent of the fertilizer used for the corn is manure from the
farmer's own animals, while the rest is chemical fertilizers. Not
organic corn, in other words, no certification, and no premium
market. His "no-till farming" almost certainly uses herbicides, and
indeed he was feeding the stuff to his hogs. Hogs, yes, so his manure
spreading would almost certainly not meet the organic grade either.
It's probably confusion over its organic status that leads Bosley to
say tilling would be "illegal". It wouldn't be anyway, "no-till" is
not an organic requirement, especially not with the usual high
herbicide use. He does have a point about the gasoline (sic) used to
grow the corn though, IF this sort of scheme is intended to promote
the production of yet more corn, as fuel. Tidwell also seems to be
not very clear about that. "It's cool to burn corn," he says, but
doesn't ask if it's cool to grow it. Not at all cool, except for ADM
maybe, at everyone else's expense. Maybe he hasn't heard of ADM yet.
So much for overnight activists.

Best

Keith

>--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], murdoch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The folks in the biofuel groups would probably want to read this
>story
> > and offer their opinions also.
> >
> > On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:21:41 -0500, you wrote:
> >
> > >This is an example of how stupid society is.
> > >More gasoline was spent to grow the corn than the btu delivered to
>heat the
> > >houses.
>
>An irrelevant argument. The gasoline or diesel fuel has already been
>used to grow the corn. That is past history. Forget it! The question
>remains as to what should now be done with the corn grown. Shall it
>be used to heat someone's house, and displace the use of 'fossil'
>fuel, or should it be left to rot for lack of market?
>
> > >And, how much propane was used to dry the corn.
>
>From the info in the story, I can't answer that question. Perhaps the
>farmer burned a portion of his corn to dry the rest?
>
> > >The line about no till is a scam.  It is illegal to till.
>
>We need some clarification on this statement. Where is it illegal for
>a farmer to till his fields?
>
> > >I find it immoral to burn top quality livestock feed.
>
>I find it even more immoral to leave it rot in a pile while burning
>fossil fuels to heat our homes.
>
> > >Firewood is a pain in butt to burn.
>
>Don't back so close to the stove! LOL  In my experience, it's more of
>a pain in the back.
>
> > Pellet stoves are better. Pellets made
> > >from other less valuable stock would be the test to burning corn.
>
>How much energy, and from what source, would you use to process the
>feedstocks to make the pellets? Corn is already pelletized by nature,
>and pellet stoves seem to work well using corn.
> Also, what 'less valuable stock' are you referring too? Corn that
>can't be sold, and is otherwise left to rot, is pretty low valued. In
>this instance, the corn seems to be a waste by-product from livestock
>feed production.
> > >
> > >Ken Bosley
> > >K.W. Bosley
>
>Motie