Hello MM

Just been replying to Hakan on mileage and air-pollution.

One other point is that the business over small producers and taxes
is far from clear. In my view, in the US, it hasn't been a case of
enemy action by inimical interests as many think - no deliberate
conspiracy by the big guys to exclude the small guys. It seems to
have had more to do with a sort of bureaucratic neglect, they just
weren't aware of us, and ended up not following their own rules. Now
they've changed their tune, but it still needs a test case. In the
one case we know of, that of Yellow Biodiesel, tax wasn't the issue,
registration was. Those barriers appear to have been removed now.
We've heard of a tax case, but never got any detail. That stemmed
from World Energy, and there's good reason that's since emerged,
right here on this list, to be sceptical of allegations made by
people from World Energy that don't get substantiated. This too isn't
a conspiracy, it's just ignorance and prejudice, apparently wilful -
it seems they're more interested in maintaining their prejudices than
in boring stuff like facts. Anyway they're just brokers.

So there's a need to clear the way for small-scale, localized
biofuels enterprise, but, I believe, to steer clear of the idea that
there's an industry conspiracy at work here. Industry, and the
bureaucracy with it, is much too inclined to behave like a bulldozer
when it comes to small operations, but that's a different matter.

In Britain, I don't think any biofuels production has been shut down
on the basis of tax laws. Some drivers appear to have been fined for
driving on untaxed fuel. People there are registering and paying
their taxes, though it's a new issue for the bureaucrats, who seem
most confused about it, it's quite a lot of trouble for the users,
but they're not being deliberately excluded.

Everywhere it seems bureaucrats and officials of whatever ilk
automatically assume that individuals can't be trusted to do anything
right and must be stopped, for their own good and that of society at
large, whereas business and industry, on the other hand... Odd, to
say the least, in light of the fact that these are supposed to be
democracies, that they're supposed to be civil servants, and that
we're bombarded on a daily basis with evil tidings of just how
competent and trustworthy business and industry turn out to be.  Not
to mention bureaucrats and officials.

Regards

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever