Hello Thor

Briefly, for now - re this:

>You wrote that surveys show that Americans are willing
>to pay extra for greener and more economical vehicles.
> Can you point me in the direction of some of these
>surveys?

I had a sense of unease when I wrote it, that I might not be able to
find the main ref I wanted so easily. I've been lax with the
housekeeping chores on the hard disk, and it's just caught up with
me, lost in the chaos and unravelment, and searchers didn't help.

I did find these though - the one I wanted is there somewhere, it'll turn up.

A national survey released Thursday by the Mellman Group found that
76 percent of pickup drivers support a boost in vehicle fuel
standards. Another 87 percent said they would be willing pay $500
more for a new, higher-mileage, pickup truck if they could save
$2,000 in gasoline costs over the life of the truck. Of the 600
pickup drivers surveyed, 57 percent lived in small towns and rural
areas.
http://enn.com/news/wire-stories/2002/09/09062002/reu_48353.asp
Gas-guzzling pickups make drivers pay
Friday, September 06, 2002
By Reuters

60% of car buyers would purchase hybrid -- $1,000 extra is limit,
study says (Chicago Tribune, March 6, 2002)
As a debate about fuel efficiency standards rages, 60 percent of
new-car buyers say they would purchase a hybrid electric vehicle that
gets better mileage than a conventional model, but most of them said
they do not want to pay more than $1,000 extra for the benefit.Those
are key conclusions in a study released Wednesday by auto industry
researcher J.D. Power and Associates on hybrid vehicles.

A 2002 survey by J. D. Power and Associates, for example, revealed
that while 60 percent of US consumers would consider a hybrid for
their next vehicle-primarily to reduce fuel costs-that proportion
dropped to under 20 percent if the extra purchase cost exceeded the
fuel savings. And of recently marketed "green" vehicles, only those
(such as the Toyota Prius) with performance comparable to that of
cars powered by internal-combustion engines have had acceptable
sales, even in Europe.

Hybrid Electric Vehicles: Consumers are Ready Now!
The Power Report-March 2002
http://www.jdpa.com/businessservices/automotive/hybrid/images/0302PR_Malesh.pdf

In a 1995 national telephone survey conducted by the Merck Family
Fund, 88 percent of Americans agreed that "protecting the environment
will require most of us to make major changes in the way we live" and
67 percent acknowledged that "Americans cause many of the world's
environmental problems because we consume more resources and produce
more waste than anyone else in the world."6 Nevertheless, most people
interviewed had not thought deeply about the specific ecological
implications of their lifestyles and did not know precisely what they
needed to change.

6. Harwood Group, Yearning for Balance: Views of Americans on
Consumption, Materialism, and the Environment (Takoma Park, MD: Merck
Family Fund, 1995).

http://www.ucsusa.org/publications/guide.ch1.html
UCS Consumer's Guide: Chapter One

I suppose there are just as many that say just the opposite.

Later.

Keith

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX