http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0399148752/qid=1038786734/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-8854062-9423845?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

These co-authors were on Book TV, on C-Span, discussing this cop's
infiltration of the NYC mob, and their complete total monopoly over
garbage collection.  He came in where NYC mandated separation of
garbage, for recycling, and the mob's structure started to have more
conflicts with recyclers.

While, obviously, this was not about renewable energy, it does touch
on some of the topics that have come up in our discussion of wondering
about NYC recycling and biofuel progress (which are, obviously,
inter-twined).  The burrough of Staten Island is, apparently, not only
home to what I think is the World's largest landfill (I wonder if
they're capturing any methane), but also is (or was) a big center of
mob living.

This investigation netted 72 indictments and 72 convictions.

The mafia's affect over the years on the cost of garbage hauling was
huge.  An estimate of 40% higher than in a competitive market was
cited, but some who experienced it would cite this as a low estimate,
pointing at violence and murders that occurred against those who
bucked the trend (everyday people who did not want to use them for
trash hauling who were taken up to the tops of buildings and reminded
of how far down it was) and another example was given of a large
building which was paying $100,000 per month for trash hauling under
the mob, but which under subsequent competitive hauling was paying
$9000 per month.  Giuliani apparently cited mob control over this
industry as an important factor as to the high cost of living in NYC.

So, I don't know what the level of progress is, in getting better
recycling of waste-to-fuel of NYC biowastes, but perhaps it will be
somewhat better now that some of the anti-competitive forces are
removed.

The authors did not pretend that all illegal activity has been
removed; they only claimed that the overall higher-up organized
criminal highly economically sophisticated controlling structure was
taken down.

MM

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX