Keith must still be sleeping :-)

If the CO2 released in fermentation of (say) forestry residues or other ligno
cellulosics for ethanol production, you'd surely have to compare that to
methane released if those materials biodegraded. Methane's a bit more effective
as a greenhouse gas (or so I read somewhere).

Interesting thought though.

David Teal wrote:

> I have had a car running on home-made ethanol, but abandoned the project in
> favour of biodiesel, mainly on cost grounds.  There is, however, another
> aspect of ethanol which disquiets.  Most proponents cite the carbon dioxide
> released during fermentation as some sort of advantage, saying it promotes
> plant growth or can be used to make fizzy drinks.  No mention of either:
> *    Its role as a greenhouse gas or
> *    The loss of energy in all that carbon
> In one sense, fermentation  is a cold combustion process so we are
> squandering a decent part of the energy in the original feedstock sugars.
>
> Or have I got it all wrong?
>
> David T.
>
> Biofuels at Journey to Forever
> Biofuel at WebConX