On Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:15:21 +0100, you wrote:

>I wrote the following for publication at "Energy Saving Now", please look,
>comment, correct and suggest a good heading, I took the heading for this
>discussion as a temporary one and maybe it is the best. I would also be
>happy if Keith could look at the language.

One other thing for now.  I see a lot of folks discussing whether
reducing U.S. oil dependencies on some countries might help make the
U.S. less combative.  I see less discussion of whether the U.S. has
been enriching the folks whose economies include the folks who are now
at war with the U.S. and its allies.

That is, when you're at "war", or claim to be, it is not appropriate
to ignore the opportunity to cut your enemy off from sources of
funding.  The U.S. has been in a state of conflict, and now is in full
nearly-declared "war" with some terrorists, many of whom are funded,
third-hand, via nations whose source of wealth is Oil.  Much of the
reason Oil is valuable on world markets is that it is valuable in the
Internal-Combustion-Engine transportation paradigm the U.S. helped
invent.

By refusing over many decades even to *discuss* its dependencies, the
U.S. has blithely sent hundreds of billions of dollars oversease, and
continues to do so, some of which makes it into the very hands that
now act to seek weapons of mass destruction and use them against U.S.
citizens and soldiers and against other world citizens.  It is
arguable that cessation of trade in Oil by the U.S. would do more to
stem the flow of money to its claimed enemies, and more to weaken
them, than some of the bombs and battle plans which it now puts
forward.

I do not suggest the War On Terrorism is winnable without violent
conflict, but it is also totally incumbent in a war, or even in the
events leading up to it, for a good country to seek every possible way
to weaken its enemy.

The much-admired WWII generation of the U.S. would *never* have
allowed for this silent complete betrayal, during their wartime.
Sure, they fought imperfectly, as all must.  But I'm sure they sought
to reduce the flow of wealth to their enemies.  When have we done so?
Blocking illegal bank accounts is *not* what I'm talking about.
Violent confirmed active wartime enemies of the U.S. are enriched, at
this point, every time one fills a gas tank in the U.S.  This has been
somewhat true for several decades.  It is now simply very clear, and
we are at a crossroads where even the most blind can no longer ignore
it.  It is doing damage to the war effort, in my view.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm
List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: