Hi Andrew,

This is what I was asking of Keith a few weeks (months) ago.  He indicated
that it would be almost impossible to maintain due to price flucuations
within the market.  Prices across the board are very different at present
as there is no futures market for biodiesel (yet!!).  Also, since the
product can be produced with different feedstocks and the prices
associated with those, distribution costs, brokering costs, etc ....

As you can see it can be a daunting task.  I think if all you wanted was a
baseline for "general" BD costs in various areas, that would be fine.  If
your trying to define a business plan on some hard numbers it might be
more difficult.

Comparing the cost of Dino Diesel(DD) to BD is not really productive since
the product DD is a fairly well known process and most of the manufactures
do it in a similar way.  BD on the other had as explained above has some
wildly varying price points.  Another thing that will inhibit a cross
comparision is that DD is subsidized and BD is not.  Here is an
example; over the weekend I was helping to make fuel at the Berkley
Biodiesel Co-op and was talking to a person who lives in SF on how much he
pays for his BD. He indicated that it was over $3 a gallon!!  I was
supprised that it was so much, but when one compares this unsubsidized
price to the subsidized price of DD (~$1.50 - $1.85 depending on where one
lives), it doesn't look half bad.  Somewhere it was noted that the
"true" price for a gallon of gas was ~$18.  Of course we don't see that
true cost as we pay for it in our taxes.

I still think that your pricing project is noble and can only benefit
all. :)

James Slayden

List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: