Some many years ago I worked in a chem lab at a large oil refinery,  running
various lab tests on petroleum products, and, as I remember, the procedure was
to check every batch of product (e.g., viscosity, flash point, color, etc.)
whether it was lubricating oil, grease, or whatever.  One would take a
representative product sample, several if necessary to determine the
representative
nature of the sample, and test to determine that it fell with ASTM specs.   For
continuous processes, versus batch processes, such testing would proceed
continuously, throughout two or maybe three shifts each day, to establish that
the
product  always fell within specs.  The continuous product would be dumped
into tanks and held until  confirming that it had passed specs.   Anything not
meeting specs would be dumped and rerun.

Obviously something like this could not be done by a small producer, but
somehow, it would seem that a similar procedure should  be approximated for
small
batches, if for no other reason than to prove product reliability and to avoid
potential liability.

Glenn Ellis

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM