I've heard a few other bad examples of "industry" putting out bad product. One
of them was a story that the instructors at the Iowa State course told. They
didn't want to name the company who was doing this, but it was a
manufacturer who was selling blending stock (ie the B20 portion of a B20/
petrodiesel80 mix). That manufacturer apparently reacted their material just
enough to drop the viscosity, and never actually retracted glycerine (so the
guy had 10% more (monoglyceride soup) product to sell, quality be damned.
Homebrewers on this list may be aware of this 'method' as Oil Can Harry's
experimental (to say the least) "ethyl esters". Oil Can Harry knows it's
experimental and he certainly doesn't sell product though!).

 Let me say first that this story WAS NOT about World Energy or anything, this
was some really shady operation it sounded like. I"m worried that something
like this may become not all that uncommon in the unenforcable quality
control climate we've got.

The point of their story is that ASTM D-671 is not particularly enforcable at
the
moment, though it seems that in theory this producer could be shut down. It's
an interesting story- we've been told before that small producers can get in
all
this legal trouble for not joining the NBB and selling onroad fuel, and yet
here
are five industry people telling me that there';s no real enforcement
mechanism for ASTM, and that there's nothing anyone's going to do about this
producer at the moment.

As far as where to go from here?

My feeling is that it's realy important to be honest with consumers about
quality issues and what CAN actually go wrong with biodiesel. You have to
educate people about what it should look like, and what can go wrong in
storage, and simple quality  tests that they can do. We actually had a small
push for that locally, coming out of the Veggieavenger.com website, this
winter- William Wrentmore, who runs that site, was trying to develop a few
simple tests that consumers could do to check out any product that came their
way (antigel and other additives REALLY throw off most homebrewer tests
though). I think this is promising- and that teaching people the very basics of
how BD is made would be useful (which most consumers find somewhat
interesting at least once).  Teaching people about the standards and the
specifications, teaching them about the regulations (ie that we HAVE an
ASTM standard that that they should ask producers for testing results, how
often testing is done, etc.... to at least week out the "Re-Fine LLC's" of this
business).. i'ts all part of what makes this an odd industry. I feel like the
consumers are watching the industry, much more so than Industry is used to,
and that's a really, really good trend. Again, check out the Biodieselnow
thread about the bad quality world energy fuel- (I think that the thread is
called
"beware of bad biodiesel' and look at the attitudes of the angry guy who found
glycerine in his fuel- HE certainly doesn't want to be doing this footwork of
checking out his producers' credentials, thinks it's all the fault of 'yellow
grease' as being an inferior product biodiesel, and keeps bringing up the fact
that you don't need to do all this extra investigative work if you buy
gasoline-
in short he;s the irate consumer who feels 'ripped off' at finding this to not
be a
mature industry- but I think that he's in the minority among active BD
consumers at the moment and that most of them are pretty excited about the
novelty of being involved in their own enrgy choices right now. We just have
to make sure that more of these incidents don't cause a backlash against
biodiesel in this country.
mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Lj3uPC/Me7FAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM