You are correct that New London didn't claim the Ft. Trumbell
neighborhood was blighted. However, it's also worth noting that it had been zoned as an industrial area since *1929* and contained a junkyard, oil tank farm and railroad yard. This wasn't some treelined Norman Rockwell-esque suburb we're talking about here.

I think that this quote perfectly emphasizes my concern. The suburbs and McMansions are safe. It is the houses that are in the "other" areas that are at risk. Those that people who can't afford a McMansion live in. If it was your treelined Norman Rockwell-esque suburb, this could never have been done. Since it was the other side of the tracks, however, it is inherently OK. Those people don't deserve to own property, anyway, right?

Brian