Hi Hakan

Joe,

Only a couple of complementary things,

The Elk an Moose also like clear cut, but they are very bad for
forest management. They eat the top of the newly planted trees.

Clear cuts are also bad, since it often result in that the top soil
is washed down the streams and over fertilize them. this in its
turn results in greater vulnerability to the acid rains from industrial
areas, that kills our lakes. The only reason for clear cut, is the
adoption to modern machinery.

Proper forest management was developed in Southern Germany
around 200 years ago and was implemented in Sweden 150 years
ago.

Round the same time in Britain I think. In most of Europe in various forms, I suppose. Anyway, sustainable forest management, very productive, good for the local economy.

It has proven its viability, but clear cut was not a part of the
those methods.

Why we get a large amount of bushes etc. in clear cuts, is not
because of more sunlight, it is because a lack of pines to control
the vegetation. The pine tree is releasing chemicals from the needles
it drops, that limit the under vegetation and give the pines the
space  and nutrition to grow. It is their way of fighting the competition
and only allow species that are good for them.

Fires have always been a natural part of the forest cycle, to keep
the ground relatively clean and add nutrients. This is also done in
good forest management, which starts to be a thing of the past and
had to give way for the use of large machines.

All of this and much more, are to be found in the biofuel archives
from earlier extensive discussions. No need to repeat it in full.

Harvesting properly managed forests for building material, has been
proven viable for more than 150 years. We are also "killing" plants
for food like bread etc. and the way the subject provoke is misleading
and ignorant. We even "kill" animals to eat, but the real abuse is not
that we kill them, it is often worse with the way we let them live.

Yes... But also with how we kill them (see below). And how we feed them, and how we deal with the wastes. Or at least with how the agribusiness corporations do it.

Best wishes

Keith

THE
AGRIBUSINESS
EXAMINER
July 5,, 2005, Issue #412
Monitoring Corporate Agribusiness
From a Public Interest Perspective

Exclusive:
"Best Chicken Killer In Arkansas" Tells Of Tyson Foods' Inhumane Slaughter Of Poultry And Coverup

VIRGIL BUTLER
Special to THE AGRIBUSINESS EXAMINER
July 29, 2005

I worked in Tyson Foods slaughter plants for over ten years, much of that time spent in the killing room. I was employee of the month on four different occasions and, for the last three years, trained the new killers. I was once even told by the plant manager that I was "the best killer in Arkansas."

I have obtained a copy of the PETA tape [See Reprint of PETA story --- Issue #408 --- below] and watched it over and over again, analyzing what exactly was captured on it. I even watched it in slow motion. It takes a trained eye to catch these things, and I certainly have one. There is no doubt at all in my mind that Tyson is the one at fault here, as their killing machine was acting up and severely mutilating those birds.

At one point on the tape, the supervisor even admits this. I saw this same problem many nights that I worked for Tyson through the years, so I find that the investigator and the tape to be entirely credible and that Tyson is simply lying to cover their own selves.

The way they are attacking the investigator is the same way they attacked me when I brought a bright spotlight into the dark corners of what goes on behind the scenes of those houses of horror and outright torture, coming forward and swearing out a formal statement.

They can't refute the message, as they know it to be true, so they attack the messenger. It is an old tactic and the only one to resort to when you are caught the way they have been. They even support Consumer Freedom, who freely admits the use of such tactics.

It was not uncommon at all for me to spend two to three weeks training a new-hire to kill. I find the fact that they put an untrained person in there to do that job without any training to be a serious concern and a very bad judgment call. There's no doubt in my mind that the investigator probably missed many more chickens than even he realized and that were subsequently scalded alive.

If you listen to the tape closely, you can even hear the baby chicks (because, let's face it --- that's what they are, no matter how the industry has manipulated them to gain the size they are at slaughter) peeping as they are lowered into the scalding tanks.

It's not just the uncut birds that you have to watch for. It takes a trained eye to watch for the miscuts. Those are the ones that are the hardest to spot. In order for the chicken to bleed to death before she hits the scalding tank, both the carotid arteries and the jugular vein must be severed completely.

Otherwise, what happens is that you see a lot of surface blood, but it isn't enough for the chicken to die before she reaches the scalding tanks. Even if the chicken is cut right, if she has been partially smothered on the belt, then she still will not bleed out in time. And she will still be scalded while conscious and feeling, completely sentient and fully aware of what is happening.

When Tyson claims that the investigator should have stopped the line and sounded an alarm when a chicken was about to be scalded, I actually laughed out loud. That man would have been fired for doing something like that, or at the very least have been written up and severely reprimanded and reminded of the cost of pulling such a stunt for one chicken.

The very fact that the supervisor admits that Tyson allows up to 40 birds to be scalded alive every day and that they accept the fact that it is impossible for the killer to get them all nullifies that lame argument anyway. When you add on top of that the fact that an untrained and inexperienced killer is put in there who can't even spot the ones who are still alive, then the problem is even worse.

I don't know the exact speed of the line that he was working on, but I have worked on lines ranging in speed from 142-186 birds per minute, depending on the plant. That in itself should explain the difficulty of the job. Nobody that has ever worked the killing room will ever tell you that you will catch every one, no matter how hard you try.

That fact is also admitted on the tape by the supervisor when he explains that
the plant had allowed for 40 birds to be scalded alive per day and that figure had been increased from 15.

I find it hard to believe that an untrained killer was able to keep to that number, and although that may be mere speculation on my part, my experience gives me the ability and the knowledge to make such statements with certainty.

As for the decapitation part of it. Well, on that video I clearly saw the knives that the killers are supposed to use to kill the birds with that miss the killing machine or are miscut laying on the edge of the blood trough.

I only saw a knife used once during that video because the person was too busy using the hose to wash off the blood trough to be actually killing the missed birds. At all of the plants that I worked at, it was considered the killer's job to keep the blood trough washed down. It was also his responsibility to keep the killing machine washed down. And it was also considered his responsibility to keep his knife sharpened, all while he was supposed to be killing. Now, you tell me how someone is supposed to do all of that and NOT miss birds? Can anyone? I know that I couldn't, even if I was "the best killer in Arkansas."

The whole time I worked for Tyson, I had never even heard of an "animal welfare policy." I certainly never was asked to sign such a document or attend any training whatsoever.

In fact, the timing of the announcement from Tyson that they were gong to implement such a policy happened when they found out that I was going to speak out about these kinds of things publicly when a reporter called them about writing a story about this problem. And I did.

The Los Angeles Times wrote a story about it all. (Although they no longer have it up on their site, it is still up on many other sites, including Common Dreams here:)
<http://www.commondreams.org/headlines03/1208-07.htm>

As far as the papers being signed, when you are hired, you are given a stack of papers to sign without being given the time to read what you are signing, so if the investigator in fact signed such a document that he received such animal welfare training, it would not surprise me. What would surprise me was if he actually did receive it.

I believe that Tyson's accusations against the PETA inspector are ludicrous and a lame attempt to cover their own selves. Every single thing I saw on that video was common industry practice during all of the years that I worked for Tyson.

I am fighting for the workers, the small family farmers, the environment, and the rural communities like the one I live in (Pine Ridge, Arkansas, pop. 18) just as much as I am for the plight of the poor chickens being daily tortured inside the hellholes of places like Tyson slaughter plants.

They are all victims of the factory farming industry, and they certainly need all the help they can get.

EDITOR'S NOTE: In an e-mail to THE AGRIBUSINESS EXAMINER Butler adds: "You have my full permission to take this story and use it in any way you see fit, including publishing. Same for anything you find on my blog site (listed below), where the early archives tell the most graphic stories that really upset Tyson and interested the LA Times and, eventually, the world.

"I have been targeted by not only Tyson, but the corrupt law enforcement officers that act as their lackeys ever since. But I will not stop speaking any more than you will as long as the injustice continues."

"The Cyberactivist"
<http://cyberactivist.blogspot.com/>http://cyberactivist.blogspot.com/
Founder of Activists Against Factory Farming
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/activistsagainstfactoryfarming/>http:// groups.yahoo.com/group/activistsagainstfactoryfarming/ <http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/AgainstFactoryFarming>http://www.care2 .com/c2c/group/AgainstFactoryFarming

Tyson Foods Says It Will Investigate Allegations Of Inhumane Treatment During Chicken Slaughter

ASSOCIATED PRESS: Tyson Foods Inc. said Wednesday it will investigate allegations of inhumane chicken slaughter, but contended that an undercover animal-rights photographer apparently violated company policies by videotaping "what he should have been preventing."

The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, or PETA, distributed videotapes and launched a Web site accusing Tyson of mutilating birds and scalding thousands while they were conscious in an Alabama slaughterhouse. The group also said its videotape shows workers tearing heads off live chickens.

Tyson, the world's largest poultry processor, said a veterinarian from its Office of Animal Well-Being will look into the allegations.

Tyson also raised the possibility of evidence manipulation by PETA's undercover agent, who was employed at the Heflin, Alabama, facility for several weeks.

It said the man had signed a document confirming he had completed the company's animal-welfare training "and was responsible for ensuring that no birds remained alive. His job gave him the responsibility to process any live birds, stop the line or sound an alarm if there was a problem.

"Instead, it appears PETA's agent violated Tyson's animal-welfare policy by allowing some conscious birds to go into the scald tank for the sole purpose of videotaping what he should have been preventing.

"We also take issue with PETA claims of manual decapitation of live birds," Tyson said in a statement. "We believe the carefully edited video is showing birds that have already been cut by an automatic knife and are either dead or have been rendered unconscious."

Responding to the company's statement, PETA said its investigator had been "taught to rip the animals' heads off by a plant supervisor, for when there are too many who miss the neck slicer."

The group also said the man tried to slow the processing line but quit because the plant's policy allowed a certain number of birds to be scalded while conscious.

Tyson said it continues to research the use of a procedure that PETA has urged the industry to adopt. It uses an inert gas to stun the chickens before they are killed. "Experts are divided over whether it is more humane," the company said.

Last year, PETA brought charges of animal abuse against Pilgrim's Pride Corp., which subsequently fired several chicken slaughterhouse workers caught on videotape. West Virginia officials decided not to bring criminal charges.

PETA has an ongoing campaign seeking to convince the KFC unit of Yum Brands Inc. to insist its suppliers use controlled-atmosphere slaughter procedures.

In afternoon trading, shares of Tyson slipped 23 cents to $18.77 on the New York Stock Exchange. [ May 25, 2005 ]

Hakan