Hello again Joe

I you have any viable real world solutions lets hear it.

Excuse me while I put my jack boots on........

How about we hijack the mainstream media and start brainwashing people with the notion that life is not about immediate gratification. (Don't expect the sheeple of america to go searching for the truth on the internet - no they need to be spoonfed)

But they do go searching for truth on the Internet. After Sept 11 2001 the big British media websites were swamped with US visits - literally, in some cases, crash upgrades on servers. Not just Britain, Indian and Pakistani newspapers too, many others. It didn't die away.

That there is a cost involved in everything we do, every choice we make, and that they need to consider that they might expect to live with less so that others can live with something.

Do you know of the work of Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen?

http://cepa.newschool.edu/het/profiles/georgescu.htm
Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen, 1906-1994

There's some of his work here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg30418.html
[biofuel] Energy and Economic Myths
Selections from "Energy and Economic Myths" by Nicholas Georgescu-Roegen

His inheritors are the ecological economists, such as Herman Daly, Robert Costanza, Michael T. Klare, Joshua Farley and others.

More:

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg34131.html
[biofuel] From Here to Economy

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg30417.html
[biofuel] How Much Is Nature Worth? For You, $33 Trillion

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg34130.html
[biofuel] At What Cost? - Costanza

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg34129.html
[biofuel] The Wealth of Nature

http://www.mail-archive.com/biofuel@sustainablelists.org/msg34207.html
Re: [biofuel] The Wealth of Nature

That's a good read.

That we collectively in the developed world are complicit in all the death, suffering and destruction that takes place in this world, as a result of turning a blind eye while supporting the the selfish exploitive practices that bring all the above into existence in this world. That they are voting with thier dollars and currently they are voting for their own worst enemies and by doing so are creating a sense of hatred in other places in the minds of terrorists ( or is it freedom fighters I forget? )

Many share your confusion but many of them find the US forces' role at least as confusing.

who are attacking them as a result. Once we have people convinced to lower thier standard of living

I doubt it's even necessary - I think they have to change the style, not the standard.

we can then mobilize them to kick the bastards out and enact a worldwide system of referendum to decide how we proceed with issues that need to be addressed. Here's a novel idea; we could even call it the united nation or something stupid like that. Heck we could spread some nukes around so that everyone at the table gets an equal share of respect while we're at it. Yeah there's nothing like the respect you get when you pull up your chair and lay your .45 down on the discussion table beside you.

Just as long as everyone else has got one too, in which case you might as well have left them all at the door. The mature, and most effective, use of power is to refrain from using it. Apart from that...

So how do you like me so far?

Jack boots off........flame suit on.

:-) Nothing much to argue about there, sorry to disappoint your flame suit.

Best wishes

Keith

Joe