There's many trains of thought on this,
Crop rotation is very important, there's a whole growing cycle that if used
correctly increases
soil fertility year on year.

In new Zealand, we typically just feed our animals grass, with perhaps
additional fodder
such as corn waste or some of the root crops grown and market garden type
foods such as squash,
tomatoes, radishes.

we also don't shelter our stock as in keep them in barns etc, they all live
out side, there's
been some research about this and it all points to animals grown outside are
healthier than
there indoor compatriots. there's a lot of research also in to stock shock,
and exposure to the elements,
I really feel sorry for the poor cattle out in the fields in the us with out
so much as a tree to shelter
them from the sun and wind.

NZ has spent allot of time on soil and pasture research as its one the basis
of our major exports
in fact www.fonterra.com our major dairy company has carries allot of global
weight with its
products.

have a look at
http://www.fonterra.com/content/dairyingnz/linksresources/default.jsp
for additional resources.

its not possible for every country to use all the same practices as us, but
the ones
they do pick up, could be very rewarding

in regards to organics its not impossible to grow organically, its a
different set of rules, and
requires more understanding of your local conditions, i.e. soil type,
nutrient levels and
such things as companion planting, you may not be able to go totally
organic, but you can definitely
cut back on broadcast spraying and dropping the levels of all your inputs
needed.

Cheers,
Bede