Ryan,

As I mentioned, I gave up meat and dairy because of environmental reasons - as mentioned before not because meat is bad but, because the primary method by which it is raised in the U.S. is bad. I don't have a single ethical issue with eating meat. I actually like it quite a bit. Be that as it may, I originally tried all sorts of meat substitutes. I was also pretty fanatical about trying to balance my diet. I have since learn to eat as much whole foods as possible. I eat tons of whole grains and lots of beans. From there, I just try to eat as many different colored foods as possible (different colors mean different vitamins and minerals) and when I crave something, I eat it (except the meat and dairy). I can't eat dairy anymore anyway, it now gives me a terrible stomach ache usually followed by vomiting. I am pretty healthy. I haven't had beef in over 10 years and no other meat or dairy for over 6 years. I have begun eating eggs again mostly because vegan breads and pastas are so expensive. My family used to worry that I would turn green and die. But, they have since sort of forgotten about it except at holidays! ;-)

Take care,

Ryan Hall wrote:

Ken,
I am curious, what do you eat if you don't eat meat. I have been attempting to give up beef. Mostly because a good friend of mine runs a testing lab at a beef plant in Colorado. The things he tells me makes me not want beef anymore. Especially when he talks about mad cow. I don't think most Americans know what it will do, furthermore we think we are invincible.

Do you only eat veggies, or do you eat meat substitutes, or both?

Ryan