In the diamond industry, DeBeers Diamonds owns about 90% of the diamond mines in the world.  They do this, and it is no secret.  They give out a veeeery limited number of contracts to diamond cutters and suppliers.  Furthermore, they restrict the number of diamonds and quality put onto the market in order to control price.  Of course the people who win a contract with them want another one next year, so they pay well to get it, then they charge well to keep it.  It would be absolutely incomprehensible if the oil industry didn't do this.

<how do people swallow this bunk?  by the same reasoning, oil should have surpassed $75/bbl the very day we invaded iraq.

Good point.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 7:29 PM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] ASPO on the Economic near-Future

i've never heard this term of 'the bilderbergers' before, but i don't find teh notion too farfetched.  more likely to me that their idea of safeguarding supply is simply to make it more expensive, regardless of whether it provokes economic downturn or depression.  take the fact that oil prices spiked again simply because of this tropical storm in the gulf right now; the rationale being that it could disrupt supply.

how do people swallow this bunk?  by the same reasoning, oil should have surpassed $75/bbl the very day we invaded iraq.

as far as your last comment is concerned, isn't it interesting that left wing parties and labor movements were far more widespread and mainstream *prior to (and during)* the great depression than *after* (this is especially true of the situation in the u.s.a.).?

-chris b.