Greetings Hakan,

I feel fairly confident that biological degradation will have a lower energy cost than pyrolysis. All of the reactions from oxidation of the lignin to hydrolysis of the cellulose occur at or below 35 degrees C. The conversion to alcohol by biomass occurs at that temperature too. It is a question of the heat input for distilling the alcohol to 95% purity vs the pyrolysis heat input. There are ways of driving off the water from 3A molecular sieve used to get to 100% purity that do not require extremely high temperatures but do require significant time. I´ve never tried removing the water from the sieve with a solar oven but it is an option. Of course both systems require lab infrastucture. Please keep in mind I´m strongly biased toward microbial systems as that is my background. I don´t rule out physical chemical methods. It´s just not part of my experience base.

Tom Irwin

From: Appal Energy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:30:20 -0300
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Cornell on ethanol, biodiesel, & hydrogen energy efficiencies

> I could be missing something, this is probably too simple an analysis.

Perhaps the process requires the entire equation to make sense? Maybe
cradle to grave energy inputs on both sides as well as energy outputs
are required to get an accurate perspective as to energy related
cost/benefits of cradle-to-grave production?

The process of converting biomass to methanol requires pyrolization
(thermochemical) reactors which convert the biomass to crude producer
gases. (See 19th century gas street lighting and the process of charcoal
production.) After "washing" the producer gas, primarily hydrogen and
carbon monoxide, it is converted to methanol under high temperature and
pressure in the presence of a catalyst.

The producer gasses can be used directly in the production of
electricity (supplanting natural gas), powering engines (see gasifier
tecnologies from the mid-20th century), whether they be stationary (low
pressure feed) or mobile (high pressure storage).

The production of synthetic gasoline can also be implemented using
methanol as a feedstock.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf1991/zerbe91a.pdf

In any event, btu per gallon vs. btu per gallon, methanol has only 75%
the energy value of ethanol.

http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/bgbb/7/ecep/auto/m/m.htm

That said, using 146 bushels of corn per acre,
http://www.agry.purdue.edu/ext/corn/news/articles.03/CornYldTrend2003.html
and an ethanol yield 2.5 gallons per bushel,
http://www.fsa.usda.gov/daco/bioenergy/2001/2001FactorsNFormulas.pdf
you gross approximately 365 gallons of ethanol per acre.

Subract the energy inputs to derive a net output.

Presuming 86 gallons of methanol per ton of dried biomass,
http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/forum/94fall.html
a dry ton/acre of 9 tons for hemp,
http://www.ratical.org/renewables/biomass.html#f12
or 5-8 tons/acre of non-irrigated willow,
http://www.esf.edu/willow/PDFs/2004%20esa_sustainability.pdf
you gross between 430 and 774 gallons of methanol per acre.

Some claims are made relative to 100 gallons of methanol per dry ton of
cannabis hemp. If true, this would elevate per acre production of
methanol to approximately 900 gallons.

Using an energy content multiplier of 0.75 yields numbers between 322
and 675 units of equivalent energy when producing biofuel from methanol
in comparison to ethanol.

The balance of the equation between methanol and ethanol lies in the
energy input sector.

The input/output ratio for ethanol seems to slide somewhere between
1.00:1.25 and 1.00:1.40. That would equate to a net energy gain between
91 and 146 gallons per acre.

At present, I don't have access to the energy input information for
methanol derived from dry biomass to complete the methanol side of the
equation. That may or could be acquired from the Hawaii Natural Energy
Institute, pursuant to their results on their 1995 subcontract with the
U.S. Department of Energy, titled "Hawaii Integrated Biofuels Research
Program."

If someone can provide a link where this data can be obtained, the
balance of the equation can be calculated.

All printed comments on energy inputs for thermochemical production of
methanol from biomass indicate lesser energy inputs for methanol than
than for ethanol. To compare apples to apples, this should include the
energy used to produce the methanol biomass crop, inclusive of
herbicide, pesticide, fertilizer, irrigation, sewing, tending,
harvesting, transportation, pyrolysis and synthetic reformation (as the
1:1.25 and 1:1.40 ethanol ratios include similar energy inputs).

If the generally expressed efficiency comments hold true, then methanol,
perhaps synthetic gasoline from biomass derived methanol and certainly
producer gasses from biomass are considerably more efficient pursuits
than is ethanol.

Is anyone able to provide the "missing link?"

Todd Swearingen

Another link of interest:
http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/doeofd/94_95sum/biosyngs.html