Joseph Stiglitz (and my father, who is a development economist) make the following points: Globalization is not going away, nor can we wish it away. I think the most realistic approach is to work hard to "put as human a face as possible on it". Work to make it more equitable, and keep track of companies who do not follow reasonabley socially and environmentally responsible business practices. Think Nike and their sweatshop problem. I personally boycott a number of companiesL Walmart, Exxon and others - I just can't stomach their business ethics. One of the reasons I home brew is that I don't want make the oil situation worse, support the petroluem system, perpetuate a world where we have to import insanely expensive oil from people who finance those whom want to kill us. Also I'm a cheapskate and 46 mpg on near-free fuel appeals to me! Lower emmisions too!

-Mike

Keith Addison wrote:

Hello Mike

Have a look at http://www.ceedweb.org/iirp/factsheet.htm

I was in and out of the development world for years, though never as a program manager nor direct architect of projects. I did spend a fair amount of time
reviewing and visiting projects, almost all in Africa.
My thoughts are, and it is still not fashionable to say it,

In some circles it's well known and acknowledged. I'd hope that this could be one of them.

that aid projects are generally hopeless. This is not to say that for instance building a well or constructing a road is a bad idea, it is not, but simply handing out money to the governments of developing countries is a loss. I have also observed that when simply handing out funds as a grant many times results in the group collecting a salary until the grant runs out, then the projects fade away. I would hasten to say this is not always the case and some projects do take root ans succeed.

Bilateral aid is generally a dead loss, as I was saying - that is, it's often a dead loss as far as the purported beneficiaries are concerned, the "target group", but usually not as far as the real target group is concerned, which far too often is still business interests in the donor country. And of course the "Wabenzi" along the way.

The best model I have observed is to make long term, low or no interest loans directly to well-organized groups that have prepared a solid business plan. Treat the project the same as a bank would view a small business loan. If there is a solid business idea, it will work, if not, then the funds would go to a project with a better plan. This cuts out the government, which very often cannot resist taking a little (or large) cut. Of course, many other variables apply: some countries do not have the social infrastructure - I don't believe I would pour money into Congo or Zimbabwe right now, but others do, such as Botswana, Ghana, Uganda and many others.

Many non-government funding agencies work this way, including many of the church groups. It helps if the recipient groups are as local as possible, and always it needs monitoring.

These rules/guidelines or whatever that I put together with material from our friends at Oxfam HK work well:

http://journeytoforever.org/community.html
Community development

http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html
Community development - poverty and hunger

I think what we're both making clear is that there's no mass-production approach to this, throwing money at it just doesn't help and probably makes things worse. That's very inconvenient for people who like to use amounts of money spent (or misspent) as "proof" of achievement and problems solved, which helps keep the funds rolling in, and it's not welcome news either for the people whose taxes or charity provide the funds, which I guess is why this kind of talk isn't fashionable.

It all comes down to the same thing, the one single reason that "development" and "aid" are needed in the first place: the reason poverty and hunger exist on such a vast scale in a world of plenty is an inequitable world economic system. Any effort to change that at any level might accomplish more than many bilateral "aid" programs do. Hence the ongoing worldwide protests, it's a major item on the agenda of the "Other Superpower".

Best

Keith

As for corruption, I don't think the US is in any position to start screaming about it - call it what you will - but sweetheart deals with hallibuton, giveaways to the oil industry - it amounts to the same thing. We're just more complicit because we don't protest.

I agree w/ the UN comments - I think we should appropriate the notion of "Finlandization" only in a political sense, and apply to the UN. They DO need to clean up their act - they've brought most of their reputation on themselves. But the US could stand a little of this too.

-Mike

Dale Seto wrote:

You have very good points, Hakan. The 2% is just a number that I dreamed up. It could be more or less depending on what each country can afford at the time. Nobody can expect a country which is mired in a recession, for example, to give as freely as the good times. But if we all could give as much as humanly possible it would be great. If the naysyers of foreign aid say that we should only take care of own, we should appeal to their greed instead. We should tell them that foreign aid is just an investment for third world countries to get on their feet to become future consumers of our products like refridgerators, stoves, nuclear power reactors, and gas guzzling SUV's. I'm sure the oil industry would like that!

It just seems that when we try to help the third world, and get their feet on the first rung of the ladder, a disaster like famine or sunami, or earthquake kicks them off the ladder again. As for the UN. You are absolutely right. There needs to be reform in a big way. But we shouldn't despair because just like any other huge political organization misuse and scandal do hapen. But we must not drift away from our goal of the perfect planet. Even in Canada, we are bombarded with government scandal and corrupt behaviour from time to time. And as Canadians, we are supposed to hold ourselves to high moral standards. Yeah, right.

But that should certainly not deter us from trying to help in our own way, no matter what that help entails.

Thanks for your comments, Dale