"*Part* of the German command was looking for a way out - look what
happened to Rommel. Didn't change the war much."

There are a lot of "what if's" that can be discussed to exhaustion. It may seem like a waste of time. However, I'd prefer to do that than focus entirely on the outcome and say "look what happened".

The combination of Hitler's physical dependence on amphetamines, the onset of ALS and the other plots to remove him from power might have taken Normandy off the minds of military strategists if the time line had only changed a little. Rommel was just a part of the story of how things were coming apart inside the Reich.

There are similarities between how the war ended in both Japan and Germany. Both the incendiary attacks on Germany and the nuclear attacks on Japan (both of little military value) came at the end of the war, where there was a growing consensus in both theaters that the end was near and where the vast majority of deaths from those attacks were civilian.

Mass murder for the sake of spreading fear in the minds of the enemy? I think Todd said it best: "if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck..."

Mike