Howdy Ken,

Ken Gotberg wrote:
I was reading just yesterday about using white rot fungus in the form of mushrooms of the common button type as selective for lignin and leaving the cellulose and hemicellulose alone as part of a pulping scheme. The cellulose and maybe the hemicellulose can then be fermented to ethanol.

Actually you must hydrolyze the cellulose to simple sugars before yeast fermentation. Getting the lignin out is an important step, but hydrolysis of the cellulose is no trivial matter.

Is there any commercial wood to ethanol production? It's been talked about for decades but is it actually happening?

--
Bob Allen
http://ozarker.org/bob

"Science is what we have learned about how to keep
from fooling ourselves" — Richard Feynman