Helow Brain, Tom , Robert , Keith and every one

      As I am from academics side  involved in this subject in our
list  with PHD thesis (IIT, Delhi, India  in 1980)  on enzymatic
hydrolysis  of bimass waste and following the research  for the past
25 years in this area .After   seeing  remarkable break through in
cellulase  enzyme productivity and costs, now  I am sure that   the
low energy path of depolymerization of cellulose using enzymes  can be
practical for distributed  bioethanol made possible from paper and
biomass wastes.  Eventhouh acid hydrolysis is commercially proven
technology , some  physical and  Biological  pretreatment  using fungi
followed by the enzymatic hydrolysis using commercially available
celluase enzyme , with reuse of enzymes  can make possible
practically depolymerize cellulose to higher yield , making also
possible the  simultaneous fermentation and depolimerization all this
as well  studied with higher yields too. However  the problems are yet
 the low  concentration of alcohol in the process and enzyme recovery
yet not very high.

    With the use of  solvent (caster oil ) alcohol and water  as
described  her in the biofuel  list archives can  make possible to
overcome the problems ina practical way and sub products ezymatically
degraded  ethanol soluble lignin can be used  as an usfuel  biofuel as
lignin has higher calorific value.The mushroom process  can  make
depolimerization in practical way as an effective pretreatment.

  This route is  yet  to be outined in  detail  in  web page of

  Yet, Keith has some  infomation  , but not yet published  in the web
pages as this small biomass refinary not yet matured one  but is
developing fast one  to be  as this not only the acadamic , but also
practical one for the  very near future.

  Small Biomass refinery  for biofuel  production by rural farmer  can
bring food, feed , fuel,fertillizer  in a decentralized way with more
sustainabilty  and peace  to the world.

  I am sure that   our biofuel list  and the list members  is the only
global forum  to make this path , transfer it global and  make the
difusion  to all  parts of the world  who need it.

 Greeting to all

  Yours truely
Pannirselvam
Brasil

On 8/13/05, Brian Rodgers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Thank you Tom, Robert, and everyone for the fantastic feedback.
>
>  I received an email from my Dad, the retired chemist.  He suggests we move
> away from the idea of de-polymerizing cellulose as it seems out of our reach
> financially and technologically. I am happy to let the process of
> mycelium-rot to the fungi folks and let them see what they can do with it.
> Dad said he could find no serious research into cellulose breakdown by any
> of his friends at the university. Without the help of these academics, he
> believes we can not continue on our own. I told him we would continue to
> knock it around at the Biofuels email list.
>

>  I will continue to pursue the ethanol angle,  but I will stick to
> conventional methods of fermentation. For instance, I will explore the
> naturally occurring sugar plants. A friend came by the other day with wine
> made from prickly pears. Very potent drink with all the flavor a wine
> enthusiast can wish for. I will search for more locally available, naturally
> occurring, sugary feedstock to get my experiments going with fermentation.
>
>  My next research project will be steam power.
>
>  With more great info found through the vast wealth of knowledge at the
> Journey to Forever web site, I think it makes a lot of sense to burn the
> readily available waste wood as opposed to breaking it down in order to
> ferment it. I realize that the smoke is going to be a problem, so I am
> hoping  with experience I gained building several wood burning heat stoves I
> can build an efficient fire box.
>

>  It's weird, but the morning process around here is similar to the steam
> engine. As I work on my daily newsletter, ideas are slow to build up, gain
> momentum, albeit sloppy and sluggish, then the whistle blows, and I finally
> figure out what I want to write about. Then I have to read what I already
> have,  edit out the erroneous filler that got me focused in the first place,
> and then I really get going, full steam ahead.
>
>   I was talking with my older brother last night. I attempted to inspire him
> with my new plans for a steam powered ranch community. One massive,
> centrally located, wood fired boiler which easily converts waste wood to
> energy. Steam is routed to several households in close proximity. A nearby
> steam powered electric generator should be able to furnish enough power to
> run the entire ranch with power left over during non-peak electric use hours
> to sell back to the local Electric Co-Op. I still need to research the
> circuits needed to reverse power back through the meter. But this is well
> within my understanding, much more so than chemistry.
>

>  Sincerely,
>  Brian Rodgers

> messages):

  Pagandai V Pannirselvam
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte - UFRN
Departamento de Engenharia Química - DEQ
Centro de Tecnologia - CT
Programa de Pós Graduação em Engenharia Química - PPGEQ
Grupo de Pesquisa em Engenharia de Custos - GPEC

Av. Senador Salgado Filho, Campus Universitário
CEP 59.072-970 , Natal/RN - Brasil

Residence :
Av  Odilon gome de lima, 2951,
   Q6/Bl.G/Apt 102
   Capim  Macio
EP 59.078-400 , Natal/RN - Brasil

Telefone(fone ) ( 84 ) 3215-37690 Ramal210
                            32171557
Telefone(fax) ( 84 ) 3215-3770
            residencia 32171557

             Cellular  84  88145083