Brian-

I'm new to the list and might reply to the group if I knew how. It sounds like your Pop is a good guy to know, especially since mine never got past eighth grade, but in some ways he was pretty smart too. One of the things he recommended was to get off the farm and stay there. My brothers did, and they made money and are still drinking it up. I had to be a grunt, failed, and had to go back to the farm for survival. I did get a forestry degree a few years back and now laugh to myself when I say I am a consultant.

The present reality (although it might hopefully change) is that due to the high (IMHO) energy inputs, low value wood has no current uses that can make much money. But, and  here's the big BUT, a review of history suggests to me a slightly different possible scenario. In that light, looking at the history of europe and asia, much environmental degradation has taken place, and I suggest for the same reason-energy. In my current situation, buying straw for bedding is impossible, but I have a glut of pine needles to rake up (like the leaves of forests in the dark ages). I can't afford steel,lumber or concrete, but I can build with sandstone and cordwood using chopped branches mixed with clay as a binder (cob). I can sell my hickory and still heat my shack with the left over trash. Forest depletion then, can result again, and I might add, for the same reason-no-money, and thus no energy.

If you read up on making charcoal, one glaring fact seems to stand out, and that is the loss of energy in producing it. I maintain that it is NOT lost, it is altered in a way that is not currently able to be captured. I suggest you read up on what is termed "the indirect method", in short it is heating the wood mass high enough to drive out the water, volitiles, and tars, with charcoal as the residual fuel. This process has two components. The first (heating the wood) takes heat (I use the branches), off-gassing (and burning the smoke) is highly exothermic and extremely clean-burning. Last winter, I built two 50gal drum-sized units from one of the plans on the net and put them inside the garage thinking it might help with the heat and found out that it really didn't. Not because heat wasn't produced, rather because I had to open all the doors and turn on the fans and blow the heat outside because I had too much. This, in a relatively cold Wisconsin winter.

In forestry terms, this lets me use the entire tree less the roots, and as such, I use only low value trees which are by far more abundant and even then I am not required to cut near as many.

Yesterday, I did a long read about the kalle charcoal gasifier and have read a lot of others before. This is an old technology that is well known to work. You give me the impression that it might be better to "just burn the wood" and I tend to agree. However, there seems, at least to me, to be  a missing link somewhere. Like one to use the excess heat from the off-gassing of charcoal production for the distillation of ethanol, electricty production, and home heating/cooling/cooking.

The nuts (maybe me) and bolts of the matter are beyond me, but maybe not your Pop. So, this e-mail is really a request for any knowledge he might posess on the subject and some sort of reply from you (+or-) on what you can dig up.

Thanks

Dale