I doubt it.

The lignin is harder to break down than the other sugars, so the other sugars are broken down first.

Greg H.
----- Original Message -----
From: Rich
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 20:56
Subject: [Biofuel] Lignin crop redidue breakdown

I am looking at the second chapter of Mother Earth Alcohol Fuel -Raw materials chapter at
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/meCh2.html#2_1.  At the "Crop Residue" part, it says:

"The "backbone" of sugar and starch crops -- the stalks and leaves -- is composed mainly of cellulose. The individual six-carbon sugar units in cellulose are linked together in extremely long chains by a stronger chemical bond than exists in starch. As with starch, cellulose must be broken down into sugar units before it can be used by yeast to make ethanol. However, the breaking of the cellulose bonds is much more complex and costly than the breaking of the starch bonds. Breaking the cellulose into individual sugar units is complicated by the presence of lignin, a complex compound surrounding cellulose, which is even more resistant than cellulose to enzymatic or acidic pretreatment. Because of the high cost of converting liquefied cellulose into fermentable sugars, agricultural residues (as well as other crops having a high percentage of cellulose) are not yet a practical feedstock source for small ethanol plants. Current research may result in feasible cellulosic conversion processes in the future."  I am also  looking at Stu Campbell's book "LET IT ROT!  The gardener's guide to composting, Revised edition.  My question is since composting does a good job of breaking down lignin, would it be possible to use composting as part of  the ethanol creation process?