Hi again Mike

Thanks for the links.

>OK...Somalia.
>
>...a place where no industrialized country has recognized a coherent
>government in 13 years and where these countries usually have no
>hesitation in calling it "anarchy". I don't totally disagree.

Perhaps even several different kinds of "anarchy".

>What makes Somalia so interesting (IMO) is that they've managed to
>form a fiefdom whereby protection comes from the tribal elders
>and so called "warlords" and skirmishes between tribes happen
>regularly as a way of re-establishing territorial borders. Within
>each of those borders, there seems to be relative calm (if not
>destitution). Barring the technologies that give us civil services
>and health care, I wonder if the number of homicides are comparable
>to an inner city community in the US (i.e. Watts/LA, CA) --
>Different culture, different societal infrastructure but, similar
>results (not including environmental impacts and lack of medical
>care).

I think that, once if ever you could factor out the effects of what's
happened there in the last 13 years, leaving you with what's really
Somali, you might find something with little comparison with an inner
city community in the US. In other words I'd guess that the bedrock
of Somali society is not only still there but it's what's holding
everything together. Because it is still together. Life goes on, in
spite of everything, as Human Rights Watch implies in your ref below,
and the Atlantic Monthly piece too, in a different sort of way, "Ayn
Rand" notwithstanding.

>In the middle of all this, is a thriving telecommunications industry
>that apparently requires a consensus from the various tribes in
>order to exist. This would indicate some sort of confederation with
>the potential to participate in a world market without following any
>of the conventional wisdom of what we think is necessary for the
>survival of a society.

Definitely. It's one of the major problems - our conventional wisdom
blinds us and leads us to impose "solutions", no matter how
generously, that can have disastrous consequences, which we then call
unforeseen side-effects.

Agenda 21 has a lot to say about this. So does this:

http://journeytoforever.org/community2.html
Community development - The Questions

I should add that arguably the major victims of this are the
industrialised-nation societies themselves.

>The fact that all the members of these tribes seem to be as fiercely
>independent as they were over a decade ago, would also indicate that
>the meddling of outside influences is still seen as unwelcome.

Definitely again. But again I'd argue that a genuine, humble approach
made in the right way to the right people at the right time offering
true cooperation might not go amiss. Look at what they say: "They
give us food and they shoot us."

Maybe they're not dumb. Aidid said: "We do not want to become a new
colony." I'm sure they still say that. What other than a new colony
might be the likes of the WTO, "free" trade, the IMF and the World
Bank, and the predatory corporatism unleashed by neo-liberal
economics that we're still fast-asleep enough to think means progress
and freedom? Maybe we're dumber than they are.

>I can't speak for anyone else in this list but, I'm very interested
>in how this works and wonder if there is something important to be
>learned here.

I'm sure there is, and it might be more starkly apparent in Somalia,
more diffuse in other situations, because the Somalis are so strange.
Actually I think they're quite fabulous people, despite all
indications of recent events.

Best wishes

Keith