A friend who coincidentally thinks I am a nut job, said he made a
system back in the 'old days' in which a small water turbine powered
by a small stream pumped water into a storage tank as well as generate
electricity.  Somehow this system was augmented with a small wind
generator. He said that when the wind wasn't blowing water was
released from the tank through the turbine turning the generator
generating electricity. Sorry my brain is not completely clear on the
details of these two systems. More than likely he was talking two
different systems.

The point that I thought was notable is that he used a water tank to
store energy. Filling the tank when energy was there, either through
solar, wind or hydraulic.
Brian