Sussex county, where the big beach-front houses are located, is on the
list of places covered by Fed. flood insurance.  As long as it is
under-written, people will build there.  When beach front resorts and
their beaches blow away in storms, the money to rebuild always comes
from the taxpayers somehow.  Government policies encourage irresponsible
building.

The USACE often performs sand replenishment for beaches as well.