Yes.

If people live in an area, they should learn of dangerous natural
occurrences ( quakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, tidal waves, blizzards and the
like ), and make preparations for them.

Like I said in another post:

"I have no issue with those that TRIED to do something to help them selves
and still got into trouble.

BUT I do have issues with those that did NOTHING  ( despite all the
warnings ) to help them selves then expect the government and everyone else
to drop what their doing and save them, because they would rather buy a case
of beer, than a bus ticket.".

Dams fail, if people are not willing to accept that they may only have 5 min
warning to get to higher ground, and may lose everything they should not
live below a dam.

If people are going to fly, they need to take it upon them selves to find
out what kind of aircraft they are going to be flying on and find out if
that model of aircraft has a good history of flight safety, and then take
the personal responsibility to accept that sometimes the one in a million
chance actualy happens.

If one looks at the past one can see that a given area is subject to
hurricanes and should prepare accordingly.

If you live below sea level near a coast, expect the fact that you have a
chance of getting flooded.    If you live within 50 ft of sea level near a
coast, expect that the tidal surge could very well reach you.

Empathy?    My empathy is for the kids that couldn't leave because of
ignorant parents and for the people that tried and still failed.    Not for
someone that bought a case of beer, instead of a 5 gal bucket of water that
could save their life.

7 MRE's can keep a person alive for 2 weeks, and cost about the same as a
case of beer.

If people would pay attention when the experts tell them not to expect help
after a disaster for at least 72 hrs, they would be allot better off putting
the money to a 72 hr kit than spending it to drink that stupid beer.    With
a little ingenuity, 72 hr kits are not expensive nor are they hard to put
together, I have put several together for my family.

If I had to leave the house:
I can with 5 min notice, keep my family of 4 going for 24 hrs.
With 20 min notice, I can keep my family going 72 hrs, with some shelter.
With an 1 hour notice, I can keep my family going for more than 2 weeks in
some comfort.
With 1 day of notice, I can hook up with a couple of friends and my 2
sisters, and live comfortably for a month with out any other assistance.

If I don't have to leave the house, I'm good for 1 month in the winter, and
4+ months in the summer.

I do not live in a flood plain.

I have a little multi-fuel stove, that can burn any liquid fuel, and a
fireplace that can burn any solid fuel ( I have a little wood stove I could
install in a day or so ), to cook food.

I scrounged most of the materials and built a safe room in the basement.

I have three 55 gal barrels filled with water, plus enough containers for
another 500 gal of water ( and that is not counting the 55 gal water
heater ).

I have a chain saw and enough fuel to keep it going for a week strait.

I also have a 5ft cross cut timber saw, a couple of axes, a maul and some
splitting wedges, and know how to make wood wedges ( done it several times
when my metal wedges were stuck or not available ).

I'll say it now:

If anyone on this list, would like help putting together a 72 hr kit, I
would be more than happy to give any help I can!

In part it's a little like learning to make BioDiesel because the DinoDiesel
is running out.

Just remember, is going to be extremely hard to put one together, during an
emergency, so do it before it occurs.

Greg H.