Thanks guys.
Best,
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Keith Addison
Sent: Wednesday, September 07, 2005 5:52 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Methanol in Engines was Materials, Venturis and
Biodiesel

Hello Christopher and all

>Hi:
>
>Don't professional race car drivers use methanol in their engines? So
>why can't it be used in an ordinary car? I'm guessing race car engines
>should be more sensitive. Anyone care to comment?
>
>Best,
>Christopher

I went looking some time back and foun this at a race site. I've seen
some other references to parts of it. Seems those racecars have
special engines, thoroughly corrosion-proofed, no exposed aluminium,
the entire fuel system is internally coated with Teflon and stainless
steel, the fuel bladder is made of a special compound, the valve
seats are brass, no fuel is left in the engine overnight, the
cylinder walls have to be fogged with oil so they won't rust.  "Turns
aluminum to powder..."

There's this too:
http://www.bera1.org/LA-buses.html
Los Angeles Evaluation of Methanol- and Ethanol-Fueled Buses

>Gregg Davidson wrote:
>
> > Hi Jim,
> >
> > The * VERY * first thing you need to make sure of when putting
> > biodiesel in your gasoline engine is that the addition of methanol
> > in * ANY * form will not damage your engine. *I strongly suggest* *
> > you read your owners manual *.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying Gregg, but I don't think methyl
esters are a form of methanol any more than water is a form of oxygen.

Free methanol in unwashed biodiesel is another matter though.

Best wishes

Keith

> > *I recently bought a new vehicle & out of couriousity looked at the
> > fuel specs. Use of gasoline, and */* or gasoline-ethanol* *mixtures
is

> > allowed, but gasoline-methanol mixtures or the addition of methanol
in

> > any way, shape, form, or fashion can damage or destroy vital engine
> > components.*
> > **
> > Respectfully,
> > Gregg Davidson
> >
> > **
> >

>Thanks Greg,
>I decided against using it as an additive right now except into an old
>lawn mower that I have. ( no loss..probably should be in dump anyway)
>But I did use it in an old Kerosene lamp.  I guess its just so cool to
>see something you made do what its supposed to (quality tests) then to
>see it burn so clean no smoke at all .... well thats just cool.  I plan
>on having  the ASTM  testing done  for  quality before I use it in my
>Cumins.....I have a long ways to go before I am at that level though.
>
>I am still looking for information about white PVC pipe and and how it
>stands the chemicals. I want to experiment with my venturis as a vacume
>source and for introduction of Methoxil. Any guidance??
>

> > * *
> >
> > *
> > *
> > */Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>/* wrote:
> >
> >     Hello Jim
> >
> >     >I had some general question about Biodiesel:
> >     >
> >     >1. I have some PVC Venturis that I thought would work for
mixing
>the
> >     >Methoxil and oil together. Would it tear up the PVC? How about
> >     Venturis
> >     >and PVC in the washing process?
> >     >
> >     >2. How much if any Biodiesel can be added to gasoline engines
as
>an
> >     >upper lubricant and carb cleaner additive?
> >
> >     See:
> >
> >     Biodiesel in gasoline engines
> >     http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#gas
> >
> >     Best wishes
> >
> >     Keith
> >

> >     >3. Has any one gotten good results from this usage of
biodiesel?
> >     >
> >     >4. Will this use work with 2 stroke engines? I need to
winterize
> >     my boat
> >     >and wonder how that would work as opposed to sea foam.
> >     >
> >     >5. I can get methanol for $2.24 US is this good bad or average?
> >     >
> >     >Thank you
> >     >Jim

Search the combined Biofuel and Biofuels-biz list archives (50,000
messages):