TarynToo,

Sorry, I can't help you with any vision of the Victorian or Scholastic
scope of knowledge...

But I might add a few things on the wind and my idea.

I got a package of wind data on the upper air from an Oceanographic office.
This was a compilation of data for 10 years from all around the world.
Quite a bit of stuff. They have sites around the world that measure wind
speeds of the upper air at different altitudes. Then they look at different
altitudes and connect the dots. Then they have a chart of what the wind
speeds look like over California, for example. At 30,000 feet they say, for
the 10 year period of the data that the average wind energy was 7.5 kW per
square meter. They can also present this data month by month. So one can
make up 12 graphs that say what the power levels might be for Jan thru Dec.
In July, or in the summer months the data shows the wind to be much slower
than in Jan and the winter months.

Looking at that data in another way I integrated the power from ground to
60,000 feet and estimated the total wind power coming across California as
about 1 megawatt per foot of coastline.  Lots of energy potential.

Other parts of the country are more influenced by the Jet Stream and have
average energy densities about twice as high, or 14 kW per square meter.
Over Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Pennsylvania, New York and the New England
states, would be the highest in the country, at 30,000 feet.

My idea was for an 80 megawatt design. Solar One was about 30 megawatts
thermal capacity. If you divide 80 mW by the energy density and an
efficiency you can see the frontal area would be quite large.

The idea was to have just enough lift from a helium filled portion to
provide safety under emergency conditions. The unit would never crash into
the ground unless it came apart. But the helium would not sustain it at
30,000 feet either.

TetraTech was a company in Pasadena, CA and does provide tethers for
submersible equipment. They had envisioned a tether system and equipment
that I felt would meet the needs. Of course at altitude, wings on the
device would have to provide the lift needed for the tether. The tether
would provide the ability to create lift like a kite. Close to ground near
touchdown conditions, one would not have to support much tether.

The plan was to change altitude if wind conditions became too high. Under
summer conditions or low wind conditions I felt some fancy flying would
increase the effective wind speed of the device. Like a water skier on a
tether behind a boat. He can go faster than the boat under certain
conditions. The tether could be used to tack the device in a certain
pattern and fly faster than the wind if the wind was too slow.

Graz University analyzed a number of locations north to south and found, as
one might expect, that the Jet Stream (maximum energy density of the wind)
meanders over a wide area. By strategically placing stations over a wide
area, a system of devices could  overcome low wind speeds at a specific
location. This means one would have to build stations with this
overcapacity in mind to assure more consistent energy capacity during lower
wind speeds for an electrical grid.

At the time California was thinking of acquiring a maximum of 7 percent of
its energy needs from wind power. With such widely spaced stations and this
leveling effect, this number might be increased.

Does this make sense to you, or is it too fanciful? I guess you folks can
be the peer review I didn't have back then.

Leon