I keep getting people asking about the Energy required to produce Bio-Diesel, (or biofuel, Ethanol or Bio-Diesel); mainly thinking that it takes more energy to produce them than what you get in return or what it takes to make it.
I know that with Ethanol the numbers indicate about 1.7-1 (or close to 2-1), but not sure what they are for Bio-Diesel. Can anyone help provide details or specific links to facts that will help set us all straight??
Thank you....Dave B.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of Tom Irwin
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:54 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] New question on oil seed crops and ley farming

Hi Andres,

Castor beans grow wild here in Uruguay as well. I have some deep seated childhood memories of castor oil as an emetic. Just the smell makes me gag.  I'll use it with a mask if I can find no other source but it is kind of a last resort material for me. The yields are good though and it's essentially free for the taking. I was looking at jojoba as a natural fence material but I think I'm a bit too wet here. I suspect I'd have lots of fungus problems than in drier climates. I may use raspberry or blackberries instead. The weather is is rather mild. We actually had a light frost day this winter. The summer's reach about 38 C. but you can expect rain in a day or so to bring those temps back down to 28. It's mostly flat grassland here with 38-78 cm of rainfall. This year we'll probably exceed the upper end. I'm hoping global warming will keep it there but I'm not sure. Lot's of people think it could shift to the dry end. I just haven't seen much evidence in that direction.

I keep telling everyone who will listen that oil prices are going to change the nature of agriculture back to small organic farms. Now I'm going to show them. I'm a bit squimish in killing animals, too. I was raised as a city boy. I was giving thought to lethal injection with potassium chloride solution. Pigs and humans have lots of similarities. It's worth a question to the local vet.

Tom Irwin