Hi Keith,

"But beef does not cause obesity."

I don't totally disagree but, compared to what? Atkins has made it abundantly clear to the public in the US that refined carbohydrates are one of the most threatening foods to someone fighting obesity. However, the claim made in my previous post about the beef lobby in the US came from a report by Peter Jennings called "How to Get Fat Without Really Trying". It asserts that if beef is disproportionally subsidized compared to vegetable farmers, the savings is seen by those with the least amount of money. In those scenarios, people will choose more calories for the buck.

So, put in that context and making the observation that the subsidies (beef vs. vegetable) is inversely proportional to those in Europe, one can argue that beef can cause obesity if people are compelled to make certain choices based on economics.

Commentary on the story by The Strategic Alliance for Healthy Food and Activity Environments (http://www.preventioninstitute.org/sa/PR_jennings.html).

"Mr. Jennings begins in the farmlands of America, examining agricultural subsidies and their impact on the American diet. He found that most agricultural subsides go to the foods Americans should be eating less. Nutritionists and health advocates say these policies are contributing to obesity. Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy Thompson tells Mr. Jennings that agricultural subsidies are based on political decisions that are not likely to change soon."

Of course, whether or not beef contributes to obesity depends on what you compare it to. If there were two people, one eating nothing but steak (for example) and the other only vegetables, I would not hesitate to offer an opinion as to which one is more threatened.

Mike

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Michaels

>Michael:
>
>Since herbal supplements are NOT regulated by the FDA, it's "buyer
>beware" (not that I had much faith in the FDA to begin with). Some
>herbs are extremely dangerous:

>ttp://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62671-2004Sep4.html
>
>I hope that you're also watching what you take in. Americans are
>among the fattest people in the world because of huge subsidies to
>the beef industry and the popular use of high fructose corn syrup in
>processed foods.

Stay away from refined carbohydrates, stay away from processed foods,
try to stick with locally grown fresh products. But beef does not
cause obesity.

Best wishes