Darryl,
Not terribly big ~1600 ft2 or 150 m2.  The thing is that it was built in 1964.  Single story, brick veneer, uninsulated walls and floors.  Attic is blown insulation sometime in the 80's.  windows are original with 'storm' windows outside.

The best feature is the deciduous trees on the East, South and West of the house which help a lot in the summer with AC and the sun helps some in the winter when it heats up that brick.

Thanks for the tips, I already do some of those.  I need to recheck all the caulk around the storm windows for sure

Darryl McMahon wrote:
I can only assume these are large homes.  I live in Ottawa, Canada.  South Carolina
is where our snowbirds go in the winter to get away from the cold.  My annual
natural gas heating bill, including hot water, is about Cdn$600, approximately
US$500.  It is a reasonably small house though.  Heating season here is October to
May.  (But it's getting shorter courtesy of global warming.)

I have some tips for you on reducing you heating bill.

http://www.econogics.com/en/natgas.htm

You should also visit Hakan's site at

http://www.energysavingnow.com/

Darryl McMahon
--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?

--
Regards,
PC

He's the kind of a guy who lights up a room just by flicking a switch