Paul S Cantrell wrote:
Mike W., you never cease to entertain me...
Now I can die a happy man!

Anyway, I just wanted to add another Doctor to the conversation.  Dr. John McDougall is a non-quack.

He and his wife have been at this for over 30 years and there is no 'hype'
I followed this for several years.  I felt great and was quite trim.  I do remember being hungry a lot.  Dean Ornish is worth looking at too.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/

"The founder of The McDougall Plan for healthy living, has been studying and writing about the effects of nutrition on disease for over 30 years. Dr. John McDougall believes that people should look and feel great, and enjoy optimal health for a lifetime.  Dr. McDougall has developed a nourishing, low-fat, starch-based diet that not only promotes a broad range of dramatic and lasting health benefits such as weight (fat) loss, but most importantly can also reverse serious illness, such as heart disease, without drugs."

Anecdotally, it works...My parents went off their high blood pressure meds within a week of changing their diet.  A friend of mine's daughter's lupus went into total remission very quickly (she is featured as one of his stars).

No processed foods.  No dairy and no meat.