From: Appal Energy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Sent: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 01:34:54 -0300
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Sen. Lieberman: Biofuel + Plug-In Hybrids "on threshold of commercialization"

Sorry folks. But Senator Lieberman just doesn't get it.

Someone should suggest the following as mandatory viewing as his primer.
http://www.endofsuburbia.com/

Hybrids won't solve the problems we face, especially when they're now
being engineered in ways that compromise their previous efficiency for
acceleration capability. Even alternative fuels won't solve them. We've
reached peak production at the global scale. The only way for demand to
match reductions in production is immediately reduced consumption. That
means no ten year lag in waiting for hybrid market share to increase.
That means no ten year lag in biofuels to garner market share.

What it does mean is an immediate concerted effort between conservation,
overnight retooling of Detroit for efficiency (or else the big three
further lose market share and quickly go belly up) and alt fuels.
Anything less than a three pronged attack means a devastating change in
"the American lifestyle."

And we damned sure wouldn't want to disappoint or upset George Junior or
Blaire by having to alter the overall American/Western lifestyle in
order to prevent suburban collapse and general economic pandemonium,
now would we?

Todd Swearingen

Snip