Sad to say but I think most of us have screwed up at one point or another. My big mistake was the very first thing doing the titration with the better titration method but I for got 1 minor thing so from that point all was up hill. When checking my process one thing at a time checking and rechecking but all I did was A1 after thinking that this was all a trick I found the first thing I did was wrong. Now all is well with the process. Until I mess up once more

Happy hunting.  Derick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Kurt Nolte
Sent: Monday, October 10, 2005 2:15 PM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Alright, I'm stumped.

On 10/10/05, Thomas Kelly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

     The "crappy mayonnaise" sounds like soap.

That's my ultimate thought, too.

     "Added a very carefully measured amount of my methoxide, 100mL, to the reprocessing candidate in the blender."

    "Anyway, five hours after reprocessing the first-run product, ... "

     Did any additional glycerine fall out? ... Would suggest an incomplete reaction. If not, it would further suggest soap.

I found just a tiny, tiny little film of glycerine down at the bottom. I mean <i>tiny</i>, so I don't believe it was an incomplete reaction that was the primary driving force behind the emulsion. It's probably my POS scale.

In your case it may simply involve a better balance for measuring lye. Check out how to break emulsions at JtF.

I'm going to hope that it is. I've rigged up something else to mix up a batch in (HDPE Mayo container from work that I'm currently letting air-dry, plus parts off the blender I toasted. ^.~ This stuff doesn't eat silicon caulking, does it?), and I'm going to go try a cheap scale idea from another site that uses water as a counterbalance. Humidity seems to be down today, maybe it'll work.

Thanks Tom, it's pretty heartening to hear that other people have had similar problems, and it wasn't just made up to make us feel better. ^.~

With determination!
-K