Bobby Clark wrote:

>Why are there not a lot of people manufacturing biodiesel? Is it because
>that petro diesel is cheaper? It seems that I have seen estimates of between
>$2-$3 per gallon if you make it from virgin oil. If it burns cleaner (which
>it does) then why aren't manufacturers taking advantage of this opportunity?

I'm slowly starting to think of it, but I'm not convinced yet.

I think most people who do it do it mostly as a way of not using
petro-diesel much more than to save money.

I doubt I'd save much on fuel for my TDI.  I'd have to buy the pieces
for the processor, buy the chemicals, and go through the process of
getting WVO, and practice until I get it right.  If I don't get it right
I run the risk of damaging my engine; rebuilding it or the injection
pump or replacing the injectors will cost more than I'll save making
biodiesel in a long, long time, even if the WVO is free.  I have three
things I want to do with every free hour I have now, so making a
processor and learning to use it has some serious competition.

As far as reducing my personal impact on the planet regarding fossil
fuels I'm more inclined to use the WVO I can get as a replacement for
some of the home heating oil I use.  I have an extremely well insulated
house and use ~650 gallons of heating oil last year.  I think next
summer I'll cut at least 150 off with solar hot water heaters.  If I can
get 250 gallons of  WVO and mix it with K1 I can save 400 of the 650
gallons without risking the engine in my TDI:)  That's a significant
savings, bring me down to 10-20% of what most houses use in these parts.

I also wonder what people are really doing with the leftover glycerine
and wash water with excess methanol.  I suspect a lot of both get
dumped, as do batches that just "go bad".  I don't know that, but would
be interested to hear from those actually making BD what they do with
their wash water.  I live in the country and have my own well and septic
system; introducing methanol into the ground water is not something I'm
interested in doing.  Perhaps I don't understand the process well enough
and the by products aren't a problem?

--- David