robert luis rabello wrote:

>I've been looking at this one for a long time:
>
>               http://www.freedom-motors.com/
>
>Apparently, it can run as a gen set with externally mixed diesel fuel
>and the engine puts out very little in the way of pollution.  Unlike
>some of the other manufacturers we've discussed on this list, Freedom
>Motors is actually producing units for sale.  It looks like it would
>be a good fit for a hybrid / electric vehicle, as the engine is very
>compact and high powered.

I love looking at new engines:)  How'd that old mazda commercial go?
"Engines that go hmmmm" ?

I didn't see the bit about genset usage.  The diesel usage looked like
it just adjusts the mixture some, uses a high pressure injector, and
spark ignition.

The biggest drawback to this engine would seem to be the efficiency -
the faq lists its best case as .47 lb per horsepower hour, and .55 or
more was pretty typical.  By comparison, an efficient piston diesel will
be down in the low .3's.  In other words it would use about 50% more
fuel for the same HP output.

--- David