I am trying to understand the conversion of lye quantities from metric to imperial and I have stumped myself in the process.

I understand from given data that lye is used in the amount 1.0% of the virgin vegetable oil weight. It's given that this is approximately 3.5 grams/liter. This implies that the vegetable oil weighs .35 kg/liter. There are 3.8 liters/gallon. This means that the oil would weigh 1.3 kg/gallon or 2.9 lbs/gallon. This is contradictory to the weight measurements that I have found for virgin vegetable oil that state there are approximately 7.4 lbs/gallon. What am I missing in this unit conversion?

Hunter