From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Joe Street
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 11:26 AM
To: Biofuel@sustainablelists.org
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Scientific method- Easy Keith!

Whoa Big Feller........

Keith please don't forget Brian is an American, therefore he was born and raised to believe he is somehow special, and spoiled enough to expect everything to be paint by numbers.  American 'culture' is all about instant gratification, less work vs more satisfaction/entertainment.  This explains the typical american arrogance that drips from his rhetoric and which irritates you so well.  I have no doubt that Brian is genuinely frustrated by his apparent lack of progress in this early stage but it is not really HIS fault, he has been conditioned with a set of expectations which do not fit the real world.  This is why our insidious Disneyland 'culture' here in the Americas (well at least Canada and US) works so well because it has had the illusion of being sustainable for so long.  I see this kind of attitude all the time with university students.  Even graduate students who are getting on in years; they like someone to lead them by the hand. We are a spoon fed continent.  We like to have everything easy.  Easy information, easy entertainment, easily achievable goals, easy to throw away (insert everything you don't like), and yes even easy sex (we have a pill to help that).  Well, it aint always easy. Except for the sex part (speaking personally that is).  ;-)
The point about the site that is important is that it works for many many people.  If there is one overriding principle it is make sure you are understanding very clearly what you are about to do before you start.  If you don't know what %(w/v) means then you should not proceed.  In fact your exact next step at that point is, go find out what %(w/v) means before you go any further.  Do not assume.  Do not skip over.  Go find out. The fact that americans have this moronic attention span means that it is very difficult for us to take the time to just go and do this stuff methodically.  We cannot concentrate long enough to read a web page. We see the fuel as miles rolling by our windscreen before the oil is even reacted. Carrot on a stick mentality.  This is what the rulers of our society have created.  Feel free to throw your television out the window if any of this bothers anyone!  I guess it is hard for people in other parts of the world to know this about our infantile collective on this big island in the sea.  Take pity you cruel task master, we are but children emerging from the playground into a world of harsh reality.

Joe

Keith Addison wrote:

 LOL Brian!!!

 Actually it's not funny. It's just inept, and it sows confusion -
 extracting such clouds of complexitites out of such simplicities is
 not exactly going to encourage newbies, though that's apparently what
 you're trying to do. Now it requires explanations of things which
 need no explanations, which always makes them appear more complex
 than they are, very encouraging for newbies, yes. Sigh...

 I say this because I'd rather
 not have people telling me I am not tip-top with my labwork. Tired is
 all.

 And I'm finally getting just a little tired of your saying our
 website doesn't work properly when it's quite obviously you who
 doesn't work properly.

 How come, for starters, you're starting with WVO and not virgin oil?
 How come lots of things.

 First of all, in order to re-establish the whereabouts of our feet
 somewhere near the surface of Planet Earth once again, see:
 Basic titration
 http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make2.html#titrate

 <snip>

 With readings of that which we could expect, we then moved on to basic
 titration. If you all will bear with me a moment, I do have some
 questions. I will intertwine my questions right into the JtF web site
 directions for basic titration. Our hope is to clarify these
 directions for ourselves and for other newbies as well. We believe
 that there are several statements found here and in the email list
 which are contradictory at best.

 Uh-huh.

 "Basic titration
 An electronic pH meter is best, but you can also use pH test strips
 (or litmus paper), or phenolphthalein solution (from a chemicals
 supplier)."
 I suggest sorting the test equipment according to preference.

 It's sorted according to cost and simplicity, cheapest and easiest to
 most expensive, and that's how most people see it, especially
 newbies. There's no confusion and no contradiction.

 We were
 ridiculed for using litmus paper.

 I don't think you were ridiculed, you were simply advised against it.
 Why do you need to say you were ridiculed?

 Why list it second if it is
 preferred as a third choice? Phenolphthalein sounds very interesting.

 Do you mean to tell me, after all this time you claim to have been
 studying this, months, that this is the first you hear of
 phenolphthalein?

 Why not give more information on the setup and use of this test? Yes
 we followed the links.

 Did you. Then what's the complaint? There's a whole section on
 "phenolphthalein", and more information on it too, if only you'd
 bothered to check the Table of Contents at the top of the pages where
 it says so, and in a logical sequence furthermore. Did you notice the
 Table of Contents at the top yet?

 You're looking at "Basic titration" right? And only that it seems.
 Immediately below that:

 Basic titration
 Better titration
 Accurate measurements
 pH meters
 Phenolphthalein
 pH meters vs phenolphthalein

 All duly listed and linked, couldn't be clearer.

 "Dissolve 1 gram of lye in 1 liter of distilled or de-ionized water
 (0.1% w/v lye solution)."
 Here, according to JtF, we are in the absolute most important first
 step Titration, which a newbie is going to perform!

 That's not the absolute most important first step according to JtF.
 The absolute most important first step according to JtF is to make a
 test-batch with virgin oil, where no titration is required, moving on
 to WVO and titration later, when you have a few skills and know what
 to expect. Not you though of course, you know better.

 Standard procedure
 in all technical writing as far as I am aware it to define all
 abbreviations!!!! Why throw out a statement like: "(0.1% w/v lye
 solution)" and not simply define (w/v?)

 Good grief, it says GRAM, that's a WEIGHT, which starts with a "W",
 it says LITER, that's a VOLUME, it starts with a "V", it's obvious!
 Especially as it tells you exactly what to do first. It's a universal
 convention and standard procedure in all technical writing and other
 writing that if you use an abbreviation you put it in brackets after
 the initial explanation. Did you say your wife's a science teacher??

 This is making an already
 completely new process unnecessarily cloudy in the mind of the
 newbies.  Ok, this is the second sentence in a half page description

 Half page. So you're using a print-out. What I suggested, I thought
 it might help, since you can't use a website with more than one page
 and one level. Seems not.

 of how to do the most important step in making biodiesel.

 "In a smaller beaker, dissolve 1 ml of dewatered WVO oil in 10 ml of
 pure isopropyl alcohol. Warm the beaker gently by standing it in some
 hot water, stir until all the oil dissolves in the alcohol and the
 mixture turns clear. Add 2 drops of phenolphthalein solution."
 Smaller beaker than what?

 Maybe - hey, let's take a chance here and really stick our necks out
 - just maybe it MIGHT mean smaller than the one you just used two
 words previously to make one litre of 0.1% w/v lye solution?

 WVO oil is redundant.

 I think in your case nothing is redundant.

 Again, if the pH Meter
 is the "best" tool and listed first in the sentence above, why are we
 jumping back to phenolphthalein? If this is the preferred test, why
 not say so in the first sentence?

 It deals with all three methods (I'm getting tired of saying it's
 obvious). Dealing with them separately would just be silly, and it
 would definitely have you complaining very loudly, even though you
 propose it below.

 With phenolphthalein it needs an extra step - you have to add the
 phenolphthalein to the solution first, unlike with meters or test
 strips, where you don't add anything. So explain how to do that, then
 you can say, as indeed it does say, hey, "With a pH meter or test
 strips, use the same procedure without adding the phenolphthalein."
 Much simpler, you see, simple and clear.

 "Using a graduated syringe, add the 0.1% lye solution drop by drop to
 the oil-alcohol-phenolphthalein solution, stirring all the time. It
 might turn a bit cloudy, keep stirring. Keep on carefully adding the
 lye solution until the solution stays pink (actually magenta) for 15
 seconds."
 See above. We are using a continuous readout pH meter. What is the pH
 we are looking for here!

 It says: "With a pH meter or test strips, use the same procedure
 without adding the phenolphthalein. Add the 0.1% lye solution drop by
 drop as before until the pH reaches 8.5." It's only SIX short
 paragraphs, FCOL, did you really start off doing it without reading
 it first, just six simple paragraphs? After dancing around it again
 and again all this time?

 Yes Keith, layered information is great,

 This is not layered information, it's six short paragraphs in a
 logical sequence without any links and you can't still can't get
 anything right.

 but
 why push it when it is unnecessary? We are jumping all over the place

 YOU are certainly jumping all over the place.

 in order to do one simple step. Different methods are combined in the
 same paragraph. This could be the reason newbies are confused.

 YOU are confused, it seems to be your natural state.

 "Take the number of milliliters of 0.1% lye solution you used and add
 3.5 (the basic amount of lye needed for virgin oil). This is the
 number of grams of lye you'll need per liter of oil."
 Sheesh, I am sorry, but I have a question about every sentence in this
 basic titration. "Take the number of milliliters of 0.1% lye solution
 you used and add 3.5" ?? This is sloppy writing. Are you saying add a
 number of milliliters to 3.5 grams?

 I'm saying what I said, which you quoted, it needs no interpretation,
 nor misinterpretation. They're NUMBERS. You add one NUMBER to another
 NUMBER, last time I checked that wasn't illegal. "Take the number of
 milliliters of 0.1% lye solution you used and add 3.5."

 If it took 1.6 mL of lye solution
 then are we supposed to add 1.6 g to 3.5 g? I don't think so.

 Why don't you think so? That's what it says, it's clear, it's
 unambiguous, it couldn't possibly mean anything else. But Brian knows
 better. On the basis of what?

 How
 about a formula here?

 IT IS A FORMULA!!! Add one number to another number!!! "Take the
 number of milliliters of 0.1% lye solution you used and add 3.5" -
 what could be easier!!! But not for Brian.

 It would be clearer if you stated all of the
 proper terms, weight, volume, etc.

 Would it.

 No wonder so many questions appear
 on the email list about titration.

 They don't, or at least not your kind of questions, only from you.

 "With a pH meter or test strips, use the same procedure without adding
 the phenolphthalein. Add the 0.1% lye solution drop by drop as before
 until the pH reaches 8.5."
 Duh! Why not just add this value to the sentence above to aid the
 newbies who are learning the procedure and keep them from jumping
 around.

 You're complaining about perceived lack of clarity, but you want me
 to tell people using phenolphthalein to look for a reading of "8.5"
 even though there is no reading of "8.5, instead it goes pink? That
 would be clear and unconfusing for you if you were using
 phenolphthalein would it? So then conversely you'd be thrilled if you
 were reading instructions on using a pH meter and it said "it goes
 pink" when it doesn't, right? But you're not all over the place?

 Also, please be consistent with the numbers throughout the
 directions. A pH of 8.5 is mentioned and then a pH of 8-9 is
 mentioned. This leads one to believe it does not really need to be
 exact.

 It does NOT mention a pH of 8-9 anywhere on those two pages or at any
 of the links. It always says pH 8.5, every time. Mike Pelly says 8-9
 but that's his business, and Mike's page is not referred to in these
 instructions. You certainly are jumping all over the place. Why are
 you going to Mike Pelly's page when you're trying to read six simple
 paragraphs in order? Random chaos. But no, it's not you, it's the
 website that's chaotic, right.

 I know it is difficult for many folks to take criticism.

 Nobody will take unwarranted criticism, why should they? Let's see
 how you get on taking some criticism that's not misdirected.

 I am not so
 arrogant to think I could criticize people that are so far ahead of us
 in this extremely important sustainable Biofuels research. I will
 offer to help. First I have to get a handle on what it is we are doing
 with the titration.
 It is always acceptable to use the Scientific Method so that others

   <snip>

 2. Formulas and calculations.  The formula for converting the lye in
 the titrated  mL solution to grams would be used here and the results
 recorded.  Formula, calculations = x grams of lye to bring one L of
 WVO to a pH of 8.5

 That's wrong. Nowhere at Journey to Forever does it say or imply such
 a thing, and I'd be surprised if it says that in the list archives,
 or at least without someone correcting it.

 How do you manage to interpret bringing one gram of WVO to pH8.5 in a
 titration, which calculates how much extra lye you need to neutralise
 the extra FFA in WVO, as bringing one litre of WVO to pH8.5? Random
 chaos Brian, it pervades your whole post.

 Conclusion:  Here is where all the opinions and speculations can occur.
 1.  X amount of grams of lye will need to be added to the 3.5 grams of
 lye to be used in the Journey to Forever process of making biodiesel

 Huh? It's simple titration, that's all.

 with this particular batch of WVO.  This sample of WVO was very
 similar in quality to pure vegetable oil as it had no water and a
 beginning pH of 6.9.

 A beginning pH? Going out on your own a little with the jolly old
 Scientific Method aren't you?

 Although each batch of WVO obtained from the
 same source should be tested, this source (Name the Source) appears to
 produce very clean WVO.

 Are you kidding?? Name the source? You mean the auntie's koesuster
 stall behind the shebeen in Otjiwarango? How will that help? You
 think info like "Chinese take-aways always have the best oil" is true
 or useful? But you want to make it clearer and simpler, hm.

 Sources of Error: List everything that might have adversely affected
 the process and describe how it might have be avoided in the next
 experiment or procedure.
 1. The humidity due to heavy rains  could have affected water content
 of the lye.  If conditions are not similar during the process of
 making the biodiesel with this particular batch of WVO, the results
 might be different.

 Not if you read and followed the instructions.

 It would be best to maintain constant conditions
 throughout the entire process. Measuring materials in plastic bags
 could also prevent moisture contamination and that process should be
 in the procedure.

 As indeed it is, several times, in the appropriate places, like
 everything else.

 2.  etc.
 Example 2. The Litmus Paper method.
 Repeat the steps of Scientific Method.
 We will provide the steps we used once we are able to effectively
 complete the process.

 Right Brian. Actually you've added nothing, no clarity, no help, just
 a lot of mostly misbegotten and redundant stuff that'll have people
 going in circles or nodding off. And you got it wrong anyway, no
 surprise.

 There's a hotlinked TOC at the top of the page. Here's what it has on
 titration, in sequence:

 More about lye
 How much lye to use?
 Basic titration
 Better titration
 Accurate measurements
 pH meters
 Phenolphthalein
 pH meters vs phenolphthalein

 Then:

 No titration?
 The basic lye quantity -- 3.5 grams?
 Mixing the methoxide
 Stock methoxide solution
 Poor man's titration

 You missed nearly everything. Is that the third time or the fourth
 time you've missed nearly everything?

 Little KIDS do this Brian, they don't ask questions, they just do it,
 they succeed first time, their mums write and tell me so, "And he's
 only 11."

 But do it your way, whatever, go and make your own website or
 something with your version of the Scientific Method, one page, no
 links. But leave mine alone, scatterbrain.

 Not a scatterbrain? How come you sent this message twice, the first
 time with the wrong subject title? How many times have you done that
 already? Quite a few, eh? It doesn't exactly enhance any levels of
 clarity, especially not in archives searches. Nor does any of this
 stuff, you're not cutting through confusion as you imagine, you're
 creating it and sowing it. Enough. More than. Cease and desist.

 Keith

 Sincerely,  Brian and Nell Rodgers